Ford Focus Forum banner

MTX Fluid

893 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  FokusSVT 
#1 ·
I searched around some, just couldnt find a definite answer. Is the best thing to put in the MTX-75 the ford synthetic stuff? Or, would i be better off putting some royal purple thats cross compatible? Thanks, L8er Jon

#4 ·
Specialty Formulations IMO are the best. I would recommend (from experience) MTL-P for warmer climates, SynchroGlide for cooler climates. IMO these are superior to ANYTHING on the market, and are priced right! Very smooth with a firm/crisp feel. It does not even seem like the same tranny. No BS

http://www.specialtyformulations.com/index_files/Page457.htm

SynchroGlide shifts a tad easier in cooler weather. SynchroGlide shifts superbly...smooth as melted butter and a very positive/crisp feel. SynchroGlide is closest to the new Ford fluid in feel, but smoother and more crisp. Night and day.

Again, I personally prefer the slightly more firm/positive/crisp feel of MTL-P. MTL-P is also super smoooooth...They sure use slick stuff

BTW Specialty Formulations makes a product, MTFGLIDE, with the viscosity close to Mercon. The lowest viscosity of their MTL line. I haven't used it but I imagine it shifts veerrryyyy easily/smooth even in super cold weather..

Mercon V
cSt @ 100ºC 7.5

MTFGlide
Viscosity @ 100C 7.5 cSt

SynchroGlide
Viscosity @ 100 9.5 cSt

MTL-P
Viscosity @ 100 C 12.5 cSt

MTL-R
Viscosity @ 100 C 14.7 cSt

Redline MTL
Viscosity @ 100 10.6

Redline MTL-90
Viscosity @ 100 15.6

Redline ATF
Viscosity @ 100 7.5

Redline ATF High Temp
Viscosity @ 100 10.0

Torco MTF
Viscosity @ 100 8.35

Torco RTF
Viscosity @ 100 14.3

GM/Chrysler Synchromesh
Viscosity @ 100 9.08

Royal Purple Synchromax®
Viscosity cSt @ 100°C 7.7

For years, the MTX 75 came with ATF with a viscosity of around cSt @100ºC 7.5. Then they "switch" to a 75W-90. Some 75W-90's have a viscosity as high as @ 100°C, cSt 16.0. Specialty Formulations 75W-90 replacement, MTL-R, has a Viscosity @ 100 C 14.7 cSt.

Approximate middle range of 75w-90...80wt, viscosity range is from 7 cSt @ 100C to 10 cSt @ 100C....

I have used in my sons Focus or have driven Foci with as high a viscosity @ 100 14.3 (Torco RTF). While the Torco RTF was very good (much better than ATF, NEW Ford synthetic, and Redline), the Specialty Formulations are the best.

Again from my first hand experience, Specialty Formulations MTL-P (warmer climates like So Cal where I live) or Specialty Formulations SynchroGlide (cooler climates)is the way too go.

Don't dismiss these because you may have never heard of the company.

#6 ·
2 bottles motorcraft synthictic manual tranny fluid, with 2 bottles of motorcraft friction modifier = the 2.1 qts

#8 ·
what have you guys heard about the GM syrncomesh stuff? any good?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.