Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MTX -> MTX Swap - Q\'s.

So as to make the title slightly more clear, here is some background.

Our 3rd gear syncro has been gone since about May of last year, it still has not been fixed, as no warranty + no $$$ = no fixie.

But as of late, a friend of ours('big blue focus') has offered to sell his tranny to us for cheap, bare in mind that to fix a worn syncro with labor it would be around $700-$900(
).

Now my question, are codes on the trannies related to the ECU? And if so, would swapping in a tranny with a different code warrant problems with the ECU(ie not starting, running)? Would it be possible to have the tranny code flashed into the ECU if neccesary to update it, if it needs to be done?

Thank you

- Drew

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: MTX -> MTX Swap - Q\'s.

Sounds intresting.. I replaced all 3 syncros in mine for mearly 500. Also I'm the one who took the tranny out. I could be over rating the price a bit, since I also ordered a Street header, STR udp, Centerforce dual fric clutch, fidanza light flywheel, 3 syncros, shift boot, quiafe LSD, new locking nuts, bezel surround, and a bunch of paint to do custom interior work. So its hard to give an exact, but for idea, i'm getting my tranny rebuilt at a performance tranny place around the chicago area for 250, plus what I paid for 3 synro assembly's for just over 200.

·
Registered
379 Posts

oh and when you get the tranny cracked open, don't be supprised if your diff, is stripped. Mine was, and I never expected it.. and i really didn't beat on it that much. Another issue being Ford's poor quality putting the tranny from factory loosly.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, the part cost isn't what gets you - It's how Ford takes 7-8 hours to get any type of FWD tranny work done(which is alright, considering the job).

So the part may cost $300, but the labor is $550 or so!

- Drew

·
Registered
838 Posts

my third gear syncro is shot but i'm going to try and get it done under warranty but i have to take my nitrous kit off first

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yep - We ran out of warranty right before it started to break.

- Drew

·
Registered
727 Posts

how would i know if the synchros are shot?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Erik - Do you know anything about the tranny codes, and if they make a difference?

If not, maybe find out from the dealer when you get it back.

I would appreciate it man

- Drew

·
Registered
329 Posts

most manual transmissions are the same...as long as its a mtx 75 and not an ib5(spi trans) you should be ok.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Oh I know that

As long as I can confirm that the codes are not related to the ECU, it will be perfect.

- Drew

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks man, would appreciate it

So, anyone else with knowledge on this?

- Drew

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

Dealers screw you with the labor. I was about to shell out $1000 for LABOR to install my clutch, flywheel, and Quaife. Then I woke up, and sold my Quaife.

To answer your question Drew, no, the ECU has nothing to do with swapping manual transmissions. The only way you would need a different ECU is if you were going from auto to manual. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

Originally posted by PhocusZX3:
Dealers screw you with the labor. I was about to shell out $1000 for LABOR to install my clutch, flywheel, and Quaife. Then I woke up, and sold my Quaife.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm paying $150 labor on the centerforce clutch & oem flywheel install

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Drew, no, the tranny should have nothing to do with ECU codes. There is very little electronics inside the tranny. I think the reverse sensor, and the speed wheel sensor.

The reverse sensor is basically an on-off switch, and the the speed wheel just counts teeth, and all trannies should the same number of teeth on the wheel.

If you were talking ATX, that might be different.

No worries.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks fellas!

Mucho appreciated

- Drew

·
Registered
329 Posts

Originally posted by PhocusZX3:

To answer your question Drew, no, the ECU has nothing to do with swapping manual transmissions. The only way you would need a different ECU is if you were going from auto to manual. Hope that helps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hey...im from a dealer! Thats not nice

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Originally posted by boost til' bust:
hey...im from a dealer! Thats not nice
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No no, $84 an hour is not nice!

- Drew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts