Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok can i put a high flow muffler on my car, i heard there is limited space? and thats why i only see cat backs for sale. and plus i know cat backs are better, but could i get a muffler?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
save up 4 the catback, between ta decent muffler and the labor 2 get it intstalled, ur way up there, and then when u address other parts of ur exhaust, the rest of ur stock exh is still the stock 1 and 7/8ths. just save 4 a catback, u'll b happy u did.

sort things out w/ur girl??? dont worry there's plenty more TU girls if u didnt.

-Ult

[ 11-20-2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't know if there is a muffler only application for the Focus, but if you look at your muffler, its kind of an odd shape and i don't think you could find something that would a) fit the space, b) be "high flow" or c) worth the effort to install. Part of the reason to replace your stock exhaust with a good cat-back system is the restrictive nature of the entire stock exhaust system-It's not just the muffler that holds you back but the entire system. If you are interested in saving money, I would strongly recommend saving up and getting a good cat back system. I have the MBRP cat back, I really like it and recommend it but there are other systems out there that are at least as good. If you do install an aftermarket exhaust system, be ready for increased noise that you get with any cat back. Some are louder than others, some people like the sound, some like "quiet" systems.
There are a lot of threads here about exhaust systems-do some research and check out peoples opinions as to what is the best system but whatever you do, don't compromise on mods to yor car-take the time to decide what is the best route to go then do it. There is a lot of knowledge out there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha yea things are ok again, she was just really stressed over school. but anyway i was just aasking cause, i just want something to look better, and sound alittle better, not really for getting more performance. and i can get one for 50, and put on for 20 in my area real good, so...

·
Registered
15 Posts
like others say, get a cat-back, theres another focus zx3 like mine ini my town and he has some bull$### weld on muff on his and its RAGGET, do things with taste and you will get much more props, its like this, say u had a lady and she was cute, but her breath was awful, your buds are like "oh cool shes hot, but her breath, whew"
i think that makes since

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
i'd go with the full cat-back. not only for the performance, but also the sound, looks, and durability as well. you can get the magnaflow for under $300, probably better if you get a used one. it's full s/s, 2 1/4" all the way, and it sounds really nice.

i have heard pretty bad comments about just doing the half-assed approach. like it sounds like a honda. think about it: a 1 7/8" pipe with a huge resonator on it running to a 2 1/4" muffler out back. it might look better, but it'll sound and perform like crap.

Nate

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey, someone gave me a thermal universal muffler and i had it put on my car, i had it installed under the body where that space is and then i did not put the back muffler on. It sounds great, so if you are not worried about performance you can do that. But just make sure that you get a good muffler

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a muffler in my focus... It was kinda hard to get the pipes for it but I did and whent to my friends shop, sounds great and looks different than pretty much all other foci.... It was just a choice i made.... Maybe getting the cat-back would be a lil better when it comes down to performance but I like how it looks(Not like a civic one!!!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts