Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is an 02 Focus svt with 170k miles, stock intake, hks catback exhaust with some random non oem cat and i do not believe it has a tune on it.

List of Codes:
P0141 - Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 1
P0325 - A Spark Knock Occurred - Sensor Circuitry did not respond
P1000 - OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete
P1131 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1246 - Alternator Load Input Fail
P1518 - Intake Manifold Runner Control fault - Stuck Open

From what I gathered to my best guess p1000 and p1246 are independent codes unrelated to the others or each other but listing them just incase they potential relate in some weird convoluted way.

The other four codes however I could see being related to each other in some way but Im not sure. I can also feel a slight misfire under greater than 30% throttle at around 2-2.5krpm.

Any thoughts on this?

·
I
13,460 Posts
Yeah, I think you have a few issues here. Have you done any looking or diagnostics yet?

P0141 & P1131 - Check both the primary and secondary o2 sensors. Ensure they are installed and they aren't bent or broken. Check the wiring as well, or even replace as they are cheap enough. Ford uses the same sensor now front and rear as replacements.

P0325 - Check wiring to the knock sensor, try replacing. What plugs and fuel are you using?

P1246 - Replace the alternator pigtail. Alternator could also be bad, especially if original.

P1518 - Either a faulty IMRC module (very common) or a broken DISI lever on the intake manifold. There are metal replacements available from UK vendors (stateside, they've been discontinued)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just did some data logging using a blue driver bluetooth obd2 reader and saw that both up and downstream o2 sensors were outputting 0 volts. Since it was both of them not sure if that reading is due to a lack of ability of the reader or if they are both broken. I'll end up checking out all the wiring to these when it isn't a billion degrees outside.

Ended up just buying a new knock sensor given how cheap they are. Been using 93 from cumberland farms ever since owning the car and I don't remember what plugs it had but when I pulled them to check they were the correct ones and were gapped correctly. That was a bit ago and given that the car runs a bit rich (pops quite a bit) I wouldn't be surprised if they started to be fouled up.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

·
I
13,460 Posts
Just did some data logging using a blue driver bluetooth obd2 reader and saw that both up and downstream o2 sensors were outputting 0 volts. Since it was both of them not sure if that reading is due to a lack of ability of the reader or if they are both broken. I'll end up checking out all the wiring to these when it isn't a billion degrees outside.

Ended up just buying a new knock sensor given how cheap they are. Been using 93 from cumberland farms ever since owning the car and I don't remember what plugs it had but when I pulled them to check they were the correct ones and were gapped correctly. That was a bit ago and given that the car runs a bit rich (pops quite a bit) I wouldn't be surprised if they started to be fouled up.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!
No problem - Agreed new plugs can't "hurt", even if the current ones are fine. Motorcraft SP463 and SP524 are my choices for OEM plugs. The 524 is closest to the double platinum that came in the car and last a while. The SP463 is a hotter, copper plug, good for about ~10k miles, but are very cheap. People say the car seems to run better and idle better with those plugs, but that is very subjective. I gap both to 0.051".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts