Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well I was talking to a freind of mine that is a stanghead and he was trying to tell me that I could have a fast well handling mustang for very very cheap. So I know the power is not the question but what about handling....I would get a 89 notch back V8. I want to auto-x and I want it to be a great handling car if I put money into it. What other project would be as cheap and as fast/ well handling?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
If anybody can make a Mustang handle, it is in spite of itself, not because of itself.

I like Mustangs, don't get me wrong, but the suspension geometries are completely wrong for performance purposes.

Now... Would it be competitive in autocross? Sure.. Since F Stock and E Street Prepared have vehicles of similar horsepower/handling abilities, it is a fairly even match.

It WILL be fun to drive, but keep in mind that the transitions will be frustrating to you if you have Focus experience.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I waited for Omni since I figured he'd take care of most of what I'd say. If you like the car, grab it. It's great if you have a knowledgeable friend who'll help you, too. If handling is more important than overall ponies, though, I'd look more to the compact market for relatively cheap sources. Personally, if I got a Mustang it wouldn't be for autocross. And it probably wouldn't be made after '70, either.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
If you want to make a Mustang handle, look to spend about $10-20,000. You basically have to replace every single suspension component on the car. Every nut and bolt.

·
Registered
887 Posts
to make an 89 Mustang handle would require a major suspension upgrade. The notchbacks had the worst body style for getting "loose" and rattling, creaking, etc because of the notchback.

That early Fox body style was known to be a straight-line car unless big changes were made.

You want an auto-x car you would be better off looking for an earlier RX-7 as they already are light with good balance. And there were lots of them and they can be had for cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts