Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 focus and have problems with the rear end swaying. It all started when a mechanic told me I needed both rear lateral links replaced. After the work was done the car swayed very dangerously. Took it to another shop ( don't trust the first mechanic anymore) and I told him what work was done. He suggested a 4 wheel alignment which I got done. Also bought new tires and rims as he suggested. The car still sways. Its not as bad, but it still does it. Does anyone know what else I can do to prevent this swaying from happening. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Do you have a rear swaybar? The lower class S and some SE models do not have one.

How are the rear shocks? Have any extra bounce when you jump on the bumper? Also the bushings on the toe arms could be warn out giving you the extra sway.

Had a similar issue a while back, turned out i needed to change the settings up a few clicks and was good to go.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you justalilslow. It is a ZX4 model with no rear swaybar. I checked the rear shocks and they are good. My next step will be to check the bushings on the toe arms and possibly change the settings. I am new to this forum and greatly appreciate your advise so quickly. Thank you once again.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Ok next step. Check out Steeda! They make a set of brackets that bolt onto the sub frame and allow you to have a sway bar back their.

I have had mine on for about 170000 miles of very harsh daily abuse with no problems.

Also your stock dampeners are not adjustable. For for a few hundred you can get a good entry level set that will allow for basic adjustment. Nice to have since you can start to dial it in to fit your driving style and conditions.

· Registered
459 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2000 ZX3 a few years ago - the back end of the car was getting very unpredictable, especially when going around corners on uneven pavement.

Turned out that the rubber bushings in the multi-link control arms were completely shot. I could grab the wheels and rock them side to side and see lots of play in the bushings. I replaced them all with polyurethane bushings (terrible job), but it solved the problem completely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.