Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it only took me about 3yrs to finally buy a Focus.
The story is long and I promise you don't even want to hear half of it so without further blabbering, here it is - my 2003 ZX3 Premium PZEV 5-spd in CD Silver.

Sorry for the grainy photo - that's not usually my style, but I think most of you know what a stock Focus looks like.

After Ford's $3000 Factory Rebate and the $1300 Green State discount for the PZEV 2.3L, I ended up paying a little over $13,000 for it including tax and license. Considering that the MSRP was $15,730 plus the $545 destination charge - I feel like I stole the thing!! The car is great - I knew from the moment that I cranked over the PZEV that this was no Zetec. The throttle response is great, the power is great, the handling is... well it's a Focus!
My friend who drives a new M3 drove it this evening and was also quite impressed with the smoothness and strength of the engine. I told him there seems to be a lot of potential hiding within as well.

Lets see, it's only a Premium so it lacks the power ammenities but I won't miss them. It does have the tilt/telescopic leather wrapped wheel. The Premium also includes A/C, cruise control and possibly something else. ( EDIT: Oh yeah - 16" wheels - duh!! ) I got the Dark Charcoal interior - I just think the Med Grapite is a little too "rental car". It has the Pirelli P6's as opposed to the Firehawks or the Goodyears which I guess are also available. The tires seem to work well and are rather quiet at speed. It also has the Blaupunkt single CD head unit which sounds pretty nice for a guy who doesn't care much about music.

I know that many of you are probably familiar with my lust for the SVT, but I have definitely considered every angle of it and I feel I've made the right decision. For starters, I paid about $4500 less than the best deal I could have gotten on the few Silver/Blue SVTs that are still around. Most of those cars had at least 2 of the options on them with prices in the $20,500 range. Assuming that I could have talked them down $1000-$1500 and factored in the $2000 Ford Factory Rebate on the SVT, I would have still been in the $17,000 range before tax and license. All that extra money - along with the nagging reliability concerns of the SVT's transmission and other notewrothy glitches really turned me away. Also, the extra stuff on an SVT that I am drawn to, mainly the brakes and suspension can be had with a little bit of effort and a little bit of money - maybe even better parts than what comes standard. I know I initially said that I wouldn't modify a PZEV if I got one instead of the SVT, but after reading more about the engine's potential I'm more than interested. I think I may try to build something along the lines of the Competition Package that SVT dropped the ball on - sans all the stickers of course:

I'm sure it was the bean-counters fault that we didn't get this car, as I know that everyone at SVT was really excited about it. I would more than likely be driving an SVT if you could get something like that out of the box. Instead, I guess I'll have fun trying to replicate it on my own.

My disappointments are few - I really wanted a Premium with ABS. I found just 2 or 3 5spds with ABS in my search of almost 150 Ford dealer's inventory online. I'm quite surprised that dealers neglect to check that box on their order list. You'd think they'd want as many options as possible to increase their profits.
I found Side Airbags to be a more common option than ABS in my search - very odd. My other disappointment is in the look of the car in comparison to an SVT. I really despise the factory bumpers on the normal Focus. I had to keep walking past this Silver SVT at Galpin today during the purchase process on my car and every time it made me want an SVT. Of course so did the Comp Orange one they had sitting out front and the two Screaming Yellow Euro Pkg's that were hiding out back. Anyway, maybe I'll have to find some SVT bumpers for my car or maybe I'll go a different route.

So that's pretty much all the details. As a side note, I'd highly recommend the Galpin sales department. It only took one round of BSing with the numbers for them to realize they were dealing with a serious, and seriously informed customer. After that, the whole transaction was perfect!

Thanks to everyone who has helped out by answering my threads and PMs the past few days. Also, thanks to everyone who participates here - I did a lot of digging through old threads for info prior to making up my mind. This place really is a great resource!!

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Grrrr Galpin! That damn backup alarm will HAUNT you... trust me!

Congrats on all other accounts dood.... NOW will you come out to our Tuesday night meets?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What backup alarm??
Luckily, my car hadn't gotten that far in their process. Their first round of numbers included that and the crappy alarm system they try to pawn off on people. Knowing that neither of them were installed on my car, and that there was no way I wanted either of them, I told him not to show me those numbers again.

What is this Tuesday night thing you speak of?

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
This should be front page news. Congrats on getting the car that you wanted. Now I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
OMG its a miracle!

CONGRATS! Its great to see you finally got one man! I know ur gonna tear that baby up. Hmm where to begin with the mods
. I would say H&R Coils followed by removing the rear seats to start ur comp pkg conversion

Funny just as u get ur focus i might be getting rid of mine.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Congrats Erik on finally getting your brand new 2003 ZX3 Premium PZEV 5-speed in CD Silver!!!

Enjoy!!!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
"no i dont want to mod it"
becomes

" i want to mod it."

let the addiction begin.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
MMMM PZEV, Lucky guy, I'm sure you will find it well worth the wait!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Congrats on your new car
. I think you're right thinking the pzev has a lot of potential. Just take the $6k or so you saved from getting an svt and mod the hell out of it... it will be better than an svt

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Congrats Erik, I'm glad you finally decided on a Focus to purchase after such a long wait. I'm sure with all the thought you put into it, you made the right decision.
I'm looking forward to following your build up process so be sure you post EVERYTHING you do on here. MMMMMKAY?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine has the MP3 player/feature - I guess I should have mentioned that too. Now I'll just have to sit down and burn myself a CD or two.

Checking out the PZEV forum is what pushed me to that decision. I figure if I can get even half the gains that FC supposedly has, I'll be quite pleased.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
795 Posts
Congrats broa. I've been looking to test (and possibly buy a ZX3 PZEV, but none of the dealers around here, including Greenway (one of the biggest dealers in the nation) have any PZEV's in stock!!!

I couldn't of resisted the Screaming Yellow Euro SVT though. That car is the shiznit right outta the box (I'm not big on modding).

1 - 20 of 72 Posts