Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright I know how rediculous this sounds but I am going to ask anyway... My brother has a Lightning and just recently bought a Whipple to replace his stock Eaton Supercharger... He said I could have it. Would this even be possble in a dream? I held the supercharger up next to my motor... looks almost as big. Well, you can see the pictures.

Let me have it!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Originally posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot:
If: Wallet = Large enough

Than: Anything = Possible
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">heh...that is what I was thinking....if you have deep pockets and can move that firewall a bit, do it, you would have a pretty healthy CFM flowing thru that thing.

·
Registered
799 Posts
man if you can get that huge @ss thing to fit, (and of course if it works) wwwow, i'd be damned!! How are you gonna mount it...you'll need a custom intake manifold? Anyway, good luck if you do it!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Sell that thing to someone w/ a F-150 and use the $$$ to buy one of the Focus kits.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
may I be the first tard to ask why your brother replaced his blower????? the stock blower will outrun the stock engine block all day long, its more blower than the truck needs by far, without MASSIVE internal upgrades upgrading the blower just seems pointless IMO.....but
to your brother for trying it out, and at the very least there are some gains to be had from the upgrade, even if the cost:gain ratio isnt near what a set of high-boost pullies, traction bars, intake, etc would yield...all which can be had for about the same price....if I seem to be talking out of my butt, I can go take pics of a 12 second Lightning sitting in my driveway.....but like I said
for being one of the few to do so

BTW...that blower is WAAAAAAAAy too much for the car, sell it and buy a M62

[ 11-04-2002, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: PGZX3 ]

·
Registered
401 Posts
PGzx3, That blower is one of the better upgrades for the lightning. It bolts on something like 115 hp on a STOCK L. Its fairly cheap to 2995 I believe. Is the L yours? I am going to get onewhen I get back to the states sop I have been doing alot of research on them so I think thaty i have a decent knowledge of them.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
....if you even get the 2.0L to turn that thing...

My opinion? It will make 150hp at 10psi, and use 145hp to turn it

Giving you a grand total of 5hp gain
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The flow rate of the m112 supercharger has the flow rate of 680 cfm which is more than double the flow rate of the m45 supercharger, which is only 320cfm. The power needed to make 10psi with the m45 is about 26hp or so with up to 175F of heat. The m112 will require 38hp or so to make 10psi+ with 130F or so of heat. The m112 will make more boost with less heat with alot more flow, but require more power to turn the pulley. I would think a very big pulley would be need because 3.0 pulley on the m45 will create probably more than double that amount on a m112. The m45 supercharger is the superchager on the zx3 jackson racing supercharger kit while the m112 is the supercharger on the ford lightning.

[ 11-04-2002, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: lourenco ]

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
quicksilver, its my step dad's lightning that I've driven from time to time, there's also a local club if you're in the southeast Texas area called Houston Area Lightning Owners aka: HALO....lol

okay, I'll give it to you that its a 100hp bolt on for 3K, but a few mods on the stock one and you've got that much... my step dad put down 376hp and 454 ft/lbs before he doubled the boost on his truck (went from a 2lb upper and a 2lb lower to a 5lb lower and a 2lb upper)...soooo, I guess its up to whoever is doing the modding...

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
....if you even get the 2.0L to turn that thing...

My opinion? It will make 150hp at 10psi, and use 145hp to turn it

Giving you a grand total of 5hp gain

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was looking for a reaction more than anything else... It was a nice dream. He was just going to give it to me if I could use it.

[ 11-06-2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: SilverZX3Bullet ]

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
A couple terms for you: Drive Shaft and Battery relocation

You know what, if I had something that big, I'd find a way to get it on there, of course you are going to need a HUGE pully on there to under-drive that thing otherwise you'll blow your engine off

With a custom manifold, I bet you could find a way to mount it. But then again, I'm an idiot

[ 11-06-2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: belacyrf ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts