Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few days when i start the car it starts up and instantly dies. For some reason it does it about 4 times then after the 4th time when i crank it up it will stay started and rpm's will immediately jump to 3k and stay for a minute (yes this is with rla-6)
It's really wierd, even if i crank it up and press the gas real quick and hold the rpms up manually, when i let go it just dies, until i crank it up about the 4th time
any ideas?

·
Registered
127 Posts
That sucks!!! Ok try this. It's like a computer check i like it.

How To Do It!
1) Insert Key (do not turn it)
2) Press and hold the Trip-Meter Reset Button
3) While holding the reset button, start your car and continue holding the button.
4) Within 10 seconds, the display should change to "test" (written in a silly LCD font) and the needles will go nuts. No biggie. Release the Button.
5) Pressing the button will now cycle through some 15 different modes.

Breakdown of some of the functions:
1 Press - Shows a Gauge Sweep
2 Presses - shows all 8's on the LCD (LCD TEST)
3 Presses - illuminates all the bulbs on the dash
6 Presses - Shows DTC Troubleshooting Codes (Nothing to worry about though)
7 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - MPH
8 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - KPH
10 Presses - DIGITAL TACHOMETER

·
Registered
62 Posts
I puled out onto 301 (very busy) and got to speed and had to slow down real quick due to someone pulling out, I slipped it into netruel(sp) and it stalled on me going 30 plus mph. IMO that was not acceptable. I could have been killed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Deezlins, I would say you have something wrong with your IAC Valve. I had a similar problem back in december to where I would start the car and it would die and the only way to keep it running was to keep my foot on the gas. When I took it to the dealer, they found that the IAC Valve went bad.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after i try to start it about 4 times it will stay cranked fine, and even if i cut it off and start it back up it will go on the first try. It's just after i leave it sitting for a little while (maybe a few hours or more) that it does this.
Also, when i cut my car off sometimes i hear a "shhhhhhhhhhhh" like an air leak or somethin that lasts for like 10 seconds after the car is off, sometimes it does it and sometimes not, anyone know what that could be, or if its related (stock intake btw, i have air silencer removed, but i dont think that would affect anything)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts