Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car hesitates past 5,000 rpm\'s when it gets hot! Fuel Pump problem?

I've been having this problem for a while... But now it's getting really BAD!!! The first 10 minutes driving(maybe less), car works fine, after that if I try to push it, it won't respond as it's supose to and it hesitates after 5'000rpms... I was told by Steeda that I had a bad fuel pump... I think thats what it is. Cause after I got the trhottle body it got worst. Mixture doesnt stay rich when I'am accelerating. Any Ideas? Anybody had that before???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: My car hesitates past 5,000 rpm\'s when it gets hot! Fuel Pump problem?

Any response will be apreciated

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I know.... I just posted the second post cause I forgot to write "Any response will be apreciated" in the first post... Take your time.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Originally posted by ViLFernando:
I know.... I just posted the second post cause I forgot to write "Any response will be apreciated" in the first post... Take your time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fuel pump does sound suspect.

If you're under your warranty, go get it serviced. other than that, go to
www.teammodamax.com and check out how they resolved the fuel issue.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

mine only does that when im at 1/4 of a tank or below.(sometimes)thats the only thing stoping me from buying a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

When I am below 1/4 tank it gets waaayyyyy worst... But its bad anyways....
I still have the stock cat.... But i don't think that's the problem.... When I say hesitate... I MEAN it, hesitates BIG TIME!!! If it hesitates at 5,000, it won't go past that...
Specially after curves, if I make a turn on 3rd gear and I step on it after the curve, my car just won't go past the rpm I was at...

·
Registered
816 Posts

at high-rpms... that could be the cat... I would look into that...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump...have them do a fuel preesure test and they will know right away!
Mine did the same thing-hesitation and loss of power after 10 mins or so of driving. when it was cold it would run fine.
Stupid ford gas tanks, there is a coating that flakes off over time and clogs the pump causing it to overheat and fail.
Hope your still under warrenty, or be ready to pay over 300$ for a new one

john-

·
Registered
34 Posts

I had the same symptoms and took the car to the dealership. They replaced a component in the fuel pump assembly, for nothing eventhough the warrenty had already run out. They said that the piece they replaced had some kind of a recall on it.

·
Registered
239 Posts

I'm having similar problems but just expect it to ge worse!!I replaced the fuel filter and Cleaned out the fuel pump...I think now it is the Cat!!!You might wanna check into that..if not that go for the injectors!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I was gonna buy the venom fuel pump tomorrow. But now I don't know
, what if it's not the pump. I read in this forum that somebody had hesitation after turning(which happens to me) and other things that also have happened and he replanced the pump and all was gone. Would the dealer check that out for free(no waranty)??
How is the venom fuel pump?? Flows better than stock?? Lasts longer?? Somebody has it??

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

my hesitation problem was cured by replacing my water pump. It was a bit noisy, and was dying.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Need answer before I place my order on NOPI... Is the Venom pump a bolt on??

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

hesitates or just loses power?...fuel pump or could be a clogged cat

·
Registered
12 Posts

Greetings.

I had these symptoms:

Coming onto the freeway on a hard right would stall my car off/almost off.

If I had 1/4 or less of gas my car would die completely at times, and be INSANLY hard to get started again (had to point it down a hill or some such thing).

Finally driving up to northern cali, I had your exact problem. About 5k rpm it would just NOT go any faster. If I gave it more gas, it would actually chug even worse and lose speed.

The end result was the typical gas tank clogged the fuel pump and blew it up. I got a new fuel pump and flushed out the gas tank, and since I seem ok. Been about 20k miles ago and it's still good.

Just FYI

- Z

[ 11-25-2002, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Zaose ]

·
Registered
123 Posts

I had the same problem, and I know its the fuel pump. 1/4 gas or less, right after a hard turn, my car nearly dies. I took it in for warranty repair and the guy BSed me. First he said it must be a clogged fuel filter and said the 30,000 mile maint. should take care of it. $375 later it doesnt. He accuses my FS Cool-Flo intake of putting in so much air that the fuel mixture can't keep up, even though it only happens on turns from a stop, and never at freeway speeds. He then told me there is no way to tell if the fuel pump is bad unless my car throws a CEL.

I have the extended warranty and 32,000 miles. Any suggestions on getting it replaced under warranty?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

I'll say I also had the same problem... less than 1/4 tank issue, and twice I had the "wouldn't pass 5000 RPM" problem. After the fuel pump was replaced, all has been good.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Sonic,

I would print up the news reports from ford clearly stating this as an issue. They have to fix it, don't let them be arses. You might try calling Ford also, there is an 800 # that you can use. SOMETIMES they will call the dealer and tell them to get their act together.

Or you can just buy a nice pump and install it yourself... not that hard.

Z

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Just did it.... F*** Ford! Just went there after calling and calling getting a $340 price... When I got there it was different... $578 dollars!! I don't think a big laugh was uncalled for, was it?
..... Just bought the Venom Pump from Nopi.... Getting it installed with a frind as a "favor" $20. TOTAL BILL: $208

1 - 20 of 27 Posts