Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started 2 days ago.

When my car is on idle, I ear a whine.

That whine reminds me the sound of most aerostar power steering pump!! So I was thinking "Damn, i`ll need to change that crappy power steering pump soon".. but the whine stop as soon as I raise the throttle a little bit. So it`s probably not the pump.

I`ll need to borrow a stetoscope to find the source of the noise. It`s hard to tell by ear. seems to come from the p-steering/alternator area or from inside the timing belt cover... hope it`s not the timing belt tensionner or the water pump... the accessory belt`s idler pulley look tight. it`s sounds that it might be expensive to me

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
maybe someone installed a supercharger?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
it was me. I put a roots blower on when you were asleep. sorry about that.

Sounds like alternator bearings/brushes to me.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I wish the supercharger fairy would visit me. I have pliers on a tooth right now.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Wonder what you have to pull off for the turbo fairy to visit?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
you have to pull off my hood and put vents in it like yours. but longer and black. then help me with my ram-air project. If it all works out then I'll tell the turbo fairy good things about you.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Oh is that all?

Luckily for me I already have most of the turbo parts. heehee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
with the help of a lenght of heater hose I found the (approximative) source of my noise... it comes from the belt area, in the lower part.. probably from the crank pulley ... either crap on the pulley or the crank pulley getting loose... i`ll try some spray belt dressing

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Good luck, check the belt while your at it. Hopefully it's something cheap to fix.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My cars got the same problem. Belt dressing will just make it sound worse. U need some work done on the pully(s). My car hits the shop tommorow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts