Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I'm not much for stickers and vinyl, but these were given out by the sponsors at Jetfest. I figured I'd rock them for a little. After seeing them on, I think I'll keep them for a while!

Oh and the other sticker on the rear glass is from Focal Explosion '03. My rims were from FocusSport (when they sold them) and my last 3 sets of tires (kumho MX's & blizzacks) were from TireRack. So at least I've had something from them on my car!! btw I think I picked up a few HP...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Re: My car with Jetfest stickers?

I like those wheels
. You should get a Type R Sticker. 50 Extra Horses Rigt Dir lol j/k

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: My car with Jetfest stickers (& ham radio install)

-Radio Install-

here are a few of my antenna and mount...

And this how I mounted the remote face...

·
Registered
6 Posts

Sexy mounting job. What kind of antenna mount is that and where did you get it?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The mount and antenna is from Maldol. I got it local from Advanced Specialties in Lodi, NJ. I needed it same day (the day before I left for Jetfest) and I installed the antenna and the transceiver power lines that night. The mount is a Maldol PRM-T and the the antenna is a Maldol Ex-510 tri-band (6m, 2m, 70cm). You buy the feedline with the correct end to fit the specific antenna that you have. I forget what mine was. IIRC it had a standard motorola mount and a BNC connector, but I cut the BNC end off anyway to shorten the cable length and then soldered a PL259 connector in it's place.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

a special type of radio that sends out very specific types of meat, in this case, ham...
you of all people should know this ONEAMRADIO!!! lol
Adamo
cool install, looks way rally-ish, lol...
Adamo

·
Banned
429 Posts

a special type of radio that sends out very specific types of meat, in this case, ham...
Adamo
Adamo
OneAMRadio is a band and I dont think you know either with that answer!!

-Ryan

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

a ham radio (as I've called it) is a two-way radio capable of communications over a broad range of frequecies (bands) emloying a number of different 'modes' for non-commercial use. 'Modes' can be AM, SSB, FM, CW (Morse Code), TV, fax or a host of many different digital modes. (Ham Radio is a slang term for Amateur Radio)

Here is a link that explains some of it. It's a broad Hobby field so it's kinda hard to sum up. Kinda like asking 'what is motorsports' and getting an answer 'a competitive activity where vehicles propelled by a device that transforms potential to kinetic energy are used towards an objective'.

In that case, I'd like to be on the receive side of an Italian Combo Radio!

cool install, looks way rally-ish
I'll take that as a compliment. I've seen ham radios in rally cars and I've seen the registration packets where the rally teams designate their intended frequencies. If I were a true rally fan I would have punched holes in the roof for the antennas (don't laugh - I considered it).

·
Registered
924 Posts

whoa cool stickers..and insane looking antenna

·
Car Photo God!
4,292 Posts

Adamo
Adamo
OneAMRadio is a band and I dont think you know either with that answer!!

-Ryan
A man and an awesome band. Saw One AM live izzle in Boston. Amazing artist.

Sweet mount man I assume you get some pretty good use out of her! Does the antennae dismount?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Does the antennae dismount?
I can screw it off from the base but I dont. At about 3'-3" and mounted where it is, the antenna really doesn't have any clearance issues. So I just tightened up on it real good (to make it hard for someone to get it off by hand) and dont plan on taking it off.

·
Registered
292 Posts

great looking install, i love how you mounted the face, looks awesome.. what do you usually run on, i've been thinkin about gettin back into radio and if i get setup i'll give ya a call

·
Registered
395 Posts

If I were a true rally fan I would have punched holes in the roof for the antennas (don't laugh - I considered it).
Thats how I considered mounting mine too, but that was a little too permanent for me. By the way, that antenna connects to the mount with a NMO connector, same as mine (actually almost the same antenna, except mine is a shorter dual bander)

Any more pics on how you mounted the remote face? I was thinking of mounting mine in the header but above the mirror would work also.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

A little vinyl on the glass never hurt anybody.

I've always thought that the Foci had such potential for mounting something above the mirror.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The face mount was fun! I've used the same basic location (above the mirror) in 2 of my previous cars. This time I had access to a sheet metal shear and a bender. I was looking for an old aluminum sign or piece of aluminum sheet stock thick enough to use for a mounting bracket, but I couldn't find that... so I used an old steel sign (roughly about .05" thick?). It was a little more than I was going to originally use but it worked out and is hella stout! I cut it, shaped it, sanded it down and sprayed it. My remote face is revomable. The remote bracket is bolted to my custom bracket and this assembly is attached to the metal above (and just in front of) the dome light with 4 short sheet metal screws. I pre-drilled the holes in the plate and car to make the screws a little easier to install. The custom bracket needed three bends like a zee with all obtuse angles (I should have taken pics!). I also gave it a slight warp so the display slightly tilts to the driver. If you remove the dome light assembly, the retaining clips for the visors and drop the headliner a bit, it becomes obvious what has to be done with the plate.

My radio is a Icom IC706MkiiG and the antenna is a triband 6m/2m/70cm as mentioned above (with NMO:). I have yet to purchase the duplexer to combine the HF and VHF/UHF antenna outputs so for the most part I work 2m and 70cm. My intentions when I bought the radio was to work all mode VHF/UHF (incl 6m). I am currently a no-code Tech. While I have passed the General theory twice, neither was in the last year. when they drop the code requirement I'll be on HF shortly thereafter.

Originally I had all intentions of punching the antennas through the roof. I was going to go with separate antennas for 2m & 70cm and then run a large steel whip on a mag mount for 6m/HF (when I wanted it). -A'la 99focusWRC car! Honestly this just made more sense, was alot easier because I didn't have to drop the whole headliner and in the end it looks a whole lot cleaner.

·
Registered
937 Posts

Not to go too far off topic, but then why do YOU have a ham radio in the car. Just curious as to why you have/need one. For some reason I was under the assumption those things were illegal for public use. I might be confused with something else.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Steven2000 I'm not not sure where your question stems from. I know that scanners are illegal (in NY at least) for the general public. I AM a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) and this is an accepted radio transceiver for HAM use. I wasn't sure if you were asking why I can have it or why I have it.
As for the later, I can keep up with some family and friends without the use of my cell. In an emergency when the cells are down or overloaded, I'll still get through. I can have my one radio and listen to locals for traffic updates and info in the ham bands, I can listen to CB and FRS/GMRS radios. I can listen to event organizers, weather stations, Air traffic controllers, etc. etc. The radio gives me something to do when my 15 month old son falls asleep in the car and I don't want to chance waking him up. I get to meet interesting ppl through using it. -yesterday I met the coordinator for communications for the USRC/NASA Rally New York. Hopefully I'll be able to free up some time and volunteer to work the rally. Lastly, while I'd love to have a dream setup in my home, that's not going to happen anytime in the near future and operating from my car is more convienient for me.

·
Registered
924 Posts

its like that movie "joyride" with the cb radio ...scary stuff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts