Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys some1 help me out here i had a cold air intake and i didn't even go through a puddle but my engine when going uphill died... so i let it sit for a while then i tried to turn it over and then a *bam* *Bam* *clink, clink clink* so i was like what the heck let it sit for a bout 15 mins turned the key the car came on but it smelled like oil and when i tried to let it idle it would die so i just layed my foot on the gas and increased revs slowly. and my car could rev past 3000 for the life of me so i called FORD roadside assistance and had them tow my car to the nearest FORD dealership.... but my cold air instake is still on their and i am scared that they are going to say they are not going to cover it b/c of the intake since it is and aftermarket item....just like the most of us here i can't afford to buy a new engine for my car and still keep my apartment and stuff like that.. i know i heard of the moss act? or something like that can some one help me if they don't fix it they might as well keep it i can't afford a new engine..it only has 20742 mile it is a 2002...

called them they said that a ford rep told them the mod. made it happen and that b/c i brought a tacha dn had santiago racing on the side of my car they claim that the tires show that it is consitstent withe racing i asked ford to take the shiat back b/c i ain't paying for a car i can't drive might as well get a honda or acura and call it a day guys b/c i can't afford a new engine @ all think i can get a lawyer for this and if so does anybody know of 1 in the mercer county area

[ 02-26-2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: njfocus ]

·
Registered
745 Posts
harsh...it could be cause of the intake...then you would be fubar...if not the legal precident is the magnuson moss act...do an internet search...

sorry to hear about it...good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do a search on the Moss Act.

Anyways, I ahve had plenty of dealings with dealerships and mods. They will have to prove that the CAI intake was the problem. From the sounds of it, you have more than an intake problem. Good Luck getting everything sorted out.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You smelled oil? hmmmm
Doesn't sound like it was the intake at all, I think you're safe and covered under warrenty.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Care to update us on this one?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I took my car in for DPFE stutter with Race header and AEM CAI, no problems at my dealership.
Go inthere confidant and if you get any crap do not argue or yell, go directly to the manager and mention to him they have to have PROOF of your part causing the faliure and you are ONLY responsible for damage caused by the said item.
Your warranty still covers everything else.

Good luck,
Milan

P.S. Confucious says, drive through snow with AEM CAI, wake up with stinky finger! Ha Ha Ha!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i don't know much about cars but i can tell you that when you have about 10-14 pieces of engine on the ground when your car gets towed that's a major problem talked to the managet @ capital city ford in lawrenceville, nj and they told me that the ford engineer came out and told them that the tire wear shows that i have been racing yet i have accumulated almost 21000 miles on them so shouldn't they show some wear. but ford is sticking with their engineers and sayng that they will not cover it i told them if they don't then don't expect me to make any more payments or even keep the car b/c if they can't fix it since it was still under warranty then they need to stop selling cars and make ceramic figures b/c this is b.s. i told them from here on out no more domestics just imports. sorry guys but this thing really has me pissed off. i hve 4 years left to pay on this crap and now they don't want to help me out...

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
the racing **** is BULL****, do NOT buy that story from them, NO WAY

Hell to make it eaaasy, say those are your street tires you bought from someone that you run besides your aftermarket wheels, say you bought those tires like that, BUT you dont even have to go there, there is NO way they can deny the warranty because of something SO STUPID...no way

and again i say...**** FORD...and you guys still say they are here to help us???please

·
Registered
799 Posts
NJ: You may be in trouble. Ford towed my 2002 Harley Davidson edition truck back to the dealer with 5400 miles on it and a scattered engine. The Ford rep looked at the pcm and immediately denied warranty coverage. 2 months later,I obtained an attorney, after the attorney contacted Ford, they decided they had better look into the engine and determine the cause of the failure. I was present at the engine opening, we found two main bolts in the oil pan and a third was backed about half way out. There is no chip on this planet that could cause main bolts to fall out of an engine.
Now comes my attorneys' demands:
1. A new CRATE ENGINE.
2. 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty.
3. Ford pays 2 truck notes.
4. Wording isd inserted into the warranty record that the chip will be of no future warranty considerations.

Ford agreed to everything, they are now installing the new engine, should be ready about next Tuesday.
In your case, it would be very difficult for you to prove that the mods had no bearing on the failure. I am afraid that you may be SOL!
Call 1-888-544-4626 if I can help to try to explain the intricasies of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, I am very well versed in that law, since I own a Performance Parts Distributorship, and have recently had cause to study the law.
Later
Hope I can help.
DT
DT

·
Registered
694 Posts
My bet is that they're looking at the difference in tread front to rear. If you have significantly less front tread it 'may' indicate that you have been doing burnouts. That may be an indication that you have been racing and that's why they are voiding your warranty. That said, they have to prove that you abused the car to do that. They can't just claim that you did. Probably time to get a lawyer. If you just stop paying on the car you're still responsible for the rest of the money. They may just take the car back, they may sue you for it, depends on how they want to work it. Sounds like you owe over 10K and you now have a car worth less than 5K. I doubt that they'll just call it a wash and even if they do, your credit will be ****ed, good luck getting money for the next car. You need to stick with this and come to some sort of resolution, because if you think you're screwed now, it could definatley get worse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did they even give you an explanation on what is wrong with your car? Did your engine suck up water? Either way they owe you AT LEAST an answer as to what happened and why...Not just this kid races and that broke it...broke what?...it!

Its a buncha BS. but nothing new from Ford

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Originally posted by Cajun:
NJ: You may be in trouble. Ford towed my 2002 Harley Davidson edition truck back to the dealer with 5400 miles on it and a scattered engine. The Ford rep looked at the pcm and immediately denied warranty coverage. 2 months later,I obtained an attorney, after the attorney contacted Ford, they decided they had better look into the engine and determine the cause of the failure. I was present at the engine opening, we found two main bolts in the oil pan and a third was backed about half way out. There is no chip on this planet that could cause main bolts to fall out of an engine.
Now comes my attorneys' demands:
1. A new CRATE ENGINE.
2. 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty.
3. Ford pays 2 truck notes.
4. Wording isd inserted into the warranty record that the chip will be of no future warranty considerations.

Ford agreed to everything, they are now installing the new engine, should be ready about next Tuesday.
In your case, it would be very difficult for you to prove that the mods had no bearing on the failure. I am afraid that you may be SOL!
Call 1-888-544-4626 if I can help to try to explain the intricasies of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, I am very well versed in that law, since I own a Performance Parts Distributorship, and have recently had cause to study the law.
Later
Hope I can help.
DT
DT
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">for some reason that just put a big smile on my face...i dunno why. Im sure it sucks to have an engine replaced and the hastle was a waste of your time.....but good to hear things came out in the end. I agree there's nooooo way a chip could have done that

·
Registered
333 Posts
wow! did you go through the oil pan or the block. doesn't sound like your fault at all. i'll tell ya what. ford is gonna play the waiting game. better get a lawyer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i currently put in a complaint on the ford tech and sd that there is no proof of his claims i told her that i waited pretty long to rotate my tires and that is the resulf i waited almost 18000 miles for that and that is the reason they look so worn....but no real reason just said that it seems as though it may have ingested water but they haven't provided the proof per the moss act i need full blown proof not just 1 person's opinion on what he sees as the problem.. is it half full or 1/2 empty......the part went through the block itself so thats why i am a little sketchy on this stuff.....but if i am sol then they are going to have 1 hellava problem since 6 people in my family own fords so they will be making complaints on my behalf too... but any way going to get a humpty for a while 91 crx w/ a b16a swap in it..my cousin is selling it to me for 1500.00 runs nice. w some rice...thought about getting the svt motor and trans from ebay but dunno yet..

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ok here is what I would do. Send a tow truck (ie, AAA) to Ford to pick up your car. Have them tow it to your house. You install your old intake, and put somewhat new tires on the front. Call up Ford Roadside, ask them to tow it to a DIFFERENT dealer. Tell them what happened, they will most likely fix it. If they do fix it it will be without any questionas to your intake problems. When you get your car back, go buy a by-pass valve, and install it.

[ 02-26-2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: FocallyDistorted ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
FD: That would work, if Ford had no computer system for their warranty comments and events. Almost any event having any remote bearing on warranty issues is typed into Fords' computer. The comments and work performed follow the cars' vin to extinction. Anywhere you bring a car with that vin, bingo, they know everything done to it. This is to prevent exactly what you suggest.
DT

1 - 20 of 36 Posts