Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf just bought a 93 toyota tercel with 90.000 miles from a dealer for $2.000. She got it "as is". It turns out that the piece of crap burns all the oil up in a week. So it obviously is a lemon, but does not qualify as a lemon here in california since there is no warranty. She got the car two weeks ago, is there anything I can do except chop the dealer's head off?
Any advice is welcome!

[ 05-29-2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: panchocito ]

·
Registered
84 Posts
See if the dealer will trade for another car of around the same price (which was high) or lower.

By me, we have the junkyard dealer, $1000 for any car. The only warrantee you get is, if breaks in 3 months or 3000 miles, you can bring it back for another car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have bought several used cars... Its not technicaly a lemon lemon laws only apply to new cars with warantees and plus the problem must have occured 3 times and repaired all 3 to qualify. Unless the dealer gave you a documnet in writing with some gaurentee your pretty screwed. You should have had the car properly inspected or look at it earlier (before you bought it) Sorry!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Why would she sue them? I'm pretty sure that the paper work she signed when purchasing the car clearly spelled out what "as is" means and she wouldn't win the case.
Have you run a Carfax on the car? 90,000 on a ten year old car in California sounds awfully low to me. If you can find evidence of odometer fraud then you can use that as leverage against the dealer.

[ 05-29-2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Qdoba Addict ]

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone in the business run a carfax for me? Thanks!
Anyway... I understand it was sold as is. But if the car is advertised as being in good condition and that when we ask if there are any issues with oil.. etc, and they say everything is fine, and then the car turns out to be burning 5 gal. of oil a week, there has to be some sort of law to protect the consumer, she got that car two weeks ago, drove it 3 times and its a POS. There was no way of knowing ahead of time that there was any problem with the car, since there was no leak, nor smoke.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by Qdoba Addict:
Have you run a Carfax on the car? 90,000 on a ten year old car in California sounds awfully low to me. If you can find evidence of odometer fraud then you can use that as leverage against the dealer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">^^^ Good call! BTW, you can run a carfax yourself.

I s'pose that's why I always have REALLY test driven the used cars I've purchased.
Scares the shyte outta the salespenple, bud you know what qou're getting that way.,br />
<slall>[ 0%-29-200#, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: gatekeeper ]</sm`ll>

·
Registered
355 Posts
your states suck, new york if you buy from a dealer, and the car has below 110k or so, u get an automatic warranty, nothing special, if any defects are there or salvage title, different story, but i bought a neon 96 with 80k blown head gasket, they fixed it on their dime. their is sometimes an age limit to the car for lemon law

·
Registered
156 Posts
just do a teardown and build up with new seals/gaskits look for the cracked piece and replace it. Toyota's are great cars to work on, and most the time they run for ever. I would also check the Oil filter souds dumb but a friend of mine was complaing about "buring to much oil" but the car didnt smoke at all, turns out the oil filter was loose and under hi preshur it would despense the oil onto the roadway.
If you cant rebuild then sell it to another sucker "as is" tell 2000.00 is a fairly low price so you should break even that way.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Originally posted by panchocito:
But if the car is advertised as being in good condition and that when we ask if there are any issues with oil.. etc, and they say everything is fine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's a used car dealership! All the stuff people say about how shadey they are is true.

My friend bought a used 1990 Mitubishi Montero because he refused to buy Ford or domestic. He paid $4500 because it was a 4x4.

The car had over 200,000 miles. The used car shop was one of those small corner lot dealerships that have tons of crappy cars. He was all mad after he bought it because the vehicle burned oil really bad. He never test drove it. He always told me foriegn cars are 1000 times better than Ford.

He was driving it one day and the engine seized and caught fire. He got put back in jail for parole violation and hasn't a leg to stand on as far as trying to get his money back. He still owes over $2000.

As for me, I have a flawlessly working Ford and I'll continue to have it for many years.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i guess i'm just gonna have to coax some sort of deal out of those assholes.
I'll stand at the corner of the street with my gf with signs and scare off all his custumers.
Call the vatos and have his shady business shut down.
More seriously I'll just have to investigate the history of the car.
Isn't there something like business malpractice? I mean the dealer is supposed to tell you what might be wrong with the car, especially if you ask him and he answers you it's all right. I'll have to go investigate if they did a fake smog check, and bring down their business.
My gf is not the richest person in the world, she has bills to pay, works and goes to college, payed 2.000$ to that ass hole and made his day. I'll make sure he gets in trouble.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by TaCman2001:
just do a teardown and build up with new seals/gaskits look for the cracked piece and replace it. Toyota's are great cars to work on, and most the time they run for ever.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah guess i'll do that...
since my girl got that car, I keep seeing tercels all over the place, they can't be that bad...

·
Registered
370 Posts
There should be an implied warranty statute for any car dealer or any retailer in California. I'd say look it up in the revised statutes. Ive had the same problem with the supposed same law in Colorado and trounced the dealer in small claims court i gave them back the car they gave me back my money. Also check into the better business bureau they should be able to help a little possibly. Regardless of what is stated anywhere whatever you by has a implied warranty. You purchase something for it to last a set amount of time. Like if you buy a pair of jeans they last through one washing no matter what they should have lasted longer even if the store has no returns no exchanges they still have to give you your money back. I guarantee that in any small claims court you would win because of not only implied warranty but also dealer disclosure laws.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, my gf filed a complaint with the bbb.
If the dealer still trips she'll file a claim with the small claims court.
This is fun.

[ 05-30-2003, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: panchocito ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts