Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a locksmith and he told me to buy a Ford Aerostar ignition cylinder instead of a new focus cylinder. He said he's been gettin' at least 4-5 focii a week n that if i put in another focus ignition cylinder, it would probably fail again later on. So I bought the Aerostar cylinder as the locksmith said, had my key matched to it, n had my dad install it. Costed about $45 for the cylinder and $35 for the locksmith to match my key to the cylinder. I hope this helps anyone and prevents future ignition cylinder lock-ups. Oh yeah, my ford dealer even gave me trouble when i wanted to buy the aerostar part. What's their problem? This is the last ford i ever own!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
damn, thats nice!
good solution. what was wrong with the parts guy? why did he hassle you about it?

·
Registered
358 Posts
He said...that if i put in another focus ignition cylinder, it would probably fail again later on.
I doubt that very much. Quite a while back, Ford released an updated ignition cylinder repair kit for the Focus (part# SW 5997). In the more than 50 of these that I have sold, I have never seen one of these come back with a problem.

I can see why a Ford partman would discourage you from using an Aerostar ignition cylinder.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry 99... I'm not trying to hate on Ford Focus ignition cylinders... well okay, maybe I am a little.
But honestly, I'm just trying to give people a better solution to the ignition cylinder problem. If you check the thread that lists all the people with the problem, quite a few people have had to replace their cylinders TWICE! That's not nice at all, don't you think? I'm just trying to help the Focaljet community with some valuable advice I've attained. Money is a hard thing to come by nowadays. I'm not trying to start a debate about Focus ignition cylinders. I'm just trying to help out the community. Isn't that what Focaljet is all about?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, about the parts guy. I dunno what his problem was. He didn't want to sell me the Aerostar one and kept insisting it was best for Ford to fix my car for $250! Crazy! I didn't have that much money. I even told him that I didn't have the money n after that I still had to talk n talk n talk till he finally would sell me an Aerostar ignition cylinder. I wish Ford would hire more people who actually CARE abour thier customers.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm not trying to start a debate about Focus ignition cylinders. I'm just trying to help out the community. Isn't that what Focaljet is all about?
I don't want to start a debate either.

However, of all the people who have had this problem more than once, I would be curious to know how many had the
REVISED ignition cylider installed. Most of the early cases were repaired using the SAME type ignition cylinder that failed in the first place.
I also like to help out the community.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully dealers aren't installing the unRevised ones. That would be horrible. But I honestly wouldn't expect any less of them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I doubt that very much. Quite a while back, Ford released an updated ignition cylinder repair kit for the Focus (part# SW 5997). In the more than 50 of these that I have sold, I have never seen one of these come back with a problem.

I can see why a Ford partman would discourage you from using an Aerostar ignition cylinder.
I doubt that I have the so called repair kit installed about 30,000 miles ago(1.5yrs) on my 2000 SE and Im going into my 3rd ignition (you kinda get used to the car not wanting to start in and out a couplee of times until supprise it goes)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a friend that owns a Aerostar and he had his ignition lock as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
what exactly happens when your ignition locks? sounds dangerous.
One day you get in your car put the key in the ignition and then, nothing. The cylinder is stuck and you can't turn the iginition. This is bad, because the only way to get the ignition cylinder out is to turn the key to the on position or drill. One more thing is since the ignition is locked your wheels are too, so you have to have it towed to a dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
simple solution to this. all you have to do is jerk your steering wheel left and right while attempting to turn the key. takes less than 10 seconds. easy. ^^. Uncle is a mechanic, no biggie. to prevent it from being stuck, avoid turning the wheel with the car off. i think it has something to do with the power steering belt. but hey, don't believe me, just try it and post some response. get it stuck, then get it unstuck. tell me how wrong i am.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
simple solution to this. all you have to do is jerk your steering wheel left and right while attempting to turn the key. takes less than 10 seconds. easy. ^^. Uncle is a mechanic, no biggie. to prevent it from being stuck, avoid turning the wheel with the car off. i think it has something to do with the power steering belt. but hey, don't believe me, just try it and post some response. get it stuck, then get it unstuck. tell me how wrong i am.
You are wrong
I'm insulted that you think I didn't try that for like an hour.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
When I had this issue with my car and the guy from the towing company said just hit the key lightly towards the left and that should allow the key to turn. He said this was a temporary fix until I can get to the dealer and was not intended to be a permanant solution to the problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
One day you get in your car put the key in the ignition and then, nothing. The cylinder is stuck and you can't turn the iginition. This is bad, because the only way to get the ignition cylinder out is to turn the key to the on position or drill. One more thing is since the ignition is locked your wheels are too, so you have to have it towed to a dealer to get it fixed.
Ah yes....this happened to me coming back from the gym. I thought I was using my wife's VW key. It was weird...it worked an hour earlier. No clue...nothing. $180 for repair and $60 for tow later, I'm able to finally use my key. It sucked.

Now my flippin' stereo unit burnt out this morning, after I switched stations. THANK YOU FORD!

- Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts