Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say it will increase 3-5hp @ the wheels besides the power increase what other differences are there compared to a stock Throttle Body.

[ 02-16-2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: pinKRUSHER ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
ur payin 4 response primarily. what mods u have? yes if u do enuff 2 ur motor than a stock sized TB will become a bottleneck...but u'll need more than just bolt-ons.

port ur stock TB and save ur money 2wards another mod.

-Ult

·
Registered
662 Posts
Run, don't walk.... to your nearest magazine/news stand and get the March issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. Which has an article of thier ZX5(automatic) project car. They mention some of the FC stuff including the t/b. They dyno'd the ZX5 stock at 97 HP and 102 lb-ft torque, added a K&N FIPK intake and dyno'd 100.5 HP and 105.2 torque, added the t/b and dyno'd at 101.5 HP and 112.5 torque.

The net of the t/b was 1 HP and 7 lb-ft torque.

Remember however, it's an automatic transmission and those at "WHP" numbers.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
there r plenty of dyno's elsewhere that show almost no gains. 7tq...ehhh....i'm sorry thats a lil far fetched. my dyno ported vs 65mm yielded no gains...this played out also at the track when i ran the same times on 2 different days/trax. now granted it could have been b/c the 65mm was notorious 4 not opening all the way, but that factor at the dyno was taken care of.

look at another mod and port ur TB.

-Ult

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ult,
Hopefully you understand that it was not my intention to sway pinKRUSHER to buy the t/b, quite the opposite really
The article is the 3rd such article where a magazine has shown either the FC or the BBK t/b gained only 1hp on a dyno.

My own personal experience at the track over the summer last year also resulted in a better ET when I removed the t/b, on the same night. Track times of course are subject to a number of factors as well. I went from a 16.9x with the t/b to a 16.7x without the t/b on consecutive runs, but then went right back to 16.9x on the 3rd run without the t/b.

I never recommend the t/b as a 1st mod, usually it's pretty far down on my list of recommendations...

[ 02-16-2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: myFordPerformance.com ]

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The TB would actually be my 4th Mod

So far i have the following:
1.Magnaflow Catback
2.Steeda Short Ram
3.Diablo Sport Chip
4. ???

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
for the money it's a great mod. obviously you'd see more gains with a high flow cat or tuned cam gears, but you'd want to get the tb sooner or later. i'd say go for it, you'll love it.

Nate

·
Registered
411 Posts
not to step on anyone's toes, but

STEEDA is rebadged parts!! Do not buy Steeda parts. They are most of the time rebadged and marked up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by YelloZX3SA:
not to step on anyone's toes, but

STEEDA is rebadged parts!! Do not buy Steeda parts. They are most of the time rebadged and marked up.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe true for some of their parts but not all. Besides the prices that i get , how can you go wrong!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ack what you doin' to me Ray??

Yer sellin' me a new TB THIS WEEK... BAH!!

hehe I don't expect 5 HP, but its one bottleneck I need to get rid of without going extreme

Plus my car is just too damned quiet!! (well, a lil noisier since I melted my Cat)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Throttle Body doesn't give u much, but like many people alredy said, the throttle response is a hole diferrent thing, it feels like the car is wide awake and ready to pull hard, it does make it louder thought... I got it after I had exhaust, intake, headers, udp's, chip, venom pump, and it did give me high end power in a very noticiable scale.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
the tb was my third mod (after intake, cat-back, and flex pipe) and it was the most noticable of them all. throttle response is about the only gain, you won't see much if any hp. the main thing i noticed however was the increase in pulling power on the highway. the car just felt like it was pulling hard no matter what. when i put the stocker back on i couldn't believe how restrictive it was, like breathing through a coffee straw.

Nate

·
Registered
601 Posts
The throttle body is one of the best modifications I have done to my car. It changes the entire feal and drive of the car. I highly reccommend it.

And ult, we know you hate Focus Central and thats why you don't reccomend it, but forget that, it is a good mod and worth the money, just ask anyone else who has it.

Eric

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i make no mention of them in my posts...there r others that make 65mm's 4 the focus, i speak of them all. and of course u notice it...b/c its response that u get.

-Ult

[ 02-16-2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
134 Posts
i'm about to get the tb too and i have a question for those that have already done it. did you clear out the excess material in your intake manifold?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
u dont have 2, but its nice....take ur gasket that u get w/ur TB...cover the topside COMPLETELY w/grease all over, not 1 lil uncovered spot. take 2 of ur tb bolts, place the gasket grease side up, and use the 2 bolts (or all 4) 2 hold the gasket in place (ur usin it as a mask)...then take a spray can of primer or another light color u can easily c. shoot a couple quick jets over the circle where ur gonna b doin ur work.
as u let the circle dry, take ur gasket back off and wipe away the grease...the overspray will go w/it b/c the grease of course wont let the pain stick 2 the gasket. thus the gasket is not wasted. and now u know exactly how much 2 bore out b/c its painted in a lil ring around the circle.

have fun,

-Ult

·
Registered
134 Posts
thanks ult. how much of a difference does it make?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts