Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got a focus. After all waiting and looking I got it. Its a Silver ZX3, I'll get some pictures up when I can find someone with a digital cammera or scanner. Anyway, I have been reading the different post here and this is what I think I'm going to do for now.
1.Volant Intake
2.Magnaflow Cat-back
3.FC underdrive pully set
4.Adjustable cam gears
5.Get some better wires
6.Superchip/Diablo Chip(maybe)
7.A header(not sure what I want)

Would a chip be worth it in a 5 speed? And as for a header what do you think would be a good way to go? I plan on adding cams, TB, and maybe some nitrous. I want this to be a fast street car. What header do you recomend?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think the FC race header if you aren't concerned with retaining a stock located catyltic convertor.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
New wires alone wont do you much good, you will still have the same spark. Also beware of the 3 pulleys, many people have warned against them. Stick with the Under drive pulley. What kind of climate do you live in? you dont want something that hangs down to the bumper if you have winters like wisconsin. I put my first mod on today, a MAC intake. I second the magnaflow exhaust. do you have emissions laws? getting rid of the cat may not be a good thing. just some tips man, focaljet is awesome, you will learn more than you ever dreamed!

Jon

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Congratulations on your new ZX3!
Of the items you noted in your post, the chip will give you the best bang for the buck, for the least amount of work. You will feel it in the seat of your pants as soon as you put it in. I would also strongly recommend putting the FC 65MM TB on, before you do most of the other mods. Its easy to do and like the chip, you will really feel it as soon as you put it on. I think that the exhaust mods and then the Volant (or other CAI-I like the Volant) will give you the next best performance boost-the less restriction you have going in and then going out, the better your engine will breath and the more power it will make. As far as the headers go, I am partial to the JBA unit because it retains the catalytic converter and is CARB compliant. From what I have read here on the jet, other headers will make more power than the JBA but you need to consider whether they will pass emissions test/inspections in your state. My personal preference is not to do any kind of performance mod if it can't pass emissions in your state. The underdrive pulley will also give you a good boost-I had to take mine off when I went FI. I don't know about cam gears except that they can give you power but require tuning and possibly dyno or track testing to get them right. I had an Esslinger intake cam on before I went FI and it screamed at higher RPM's but had a lousy idle and set off the check engine light. As for the plug wires, put your money where it will do the most good which is in getting more air/fuel into your engine. Most of the mods you listed will do just that. The Ford ignition is pretty good-it will ignite whatever you can get crammed into the engine. Probably more info than you were expecting-just wanted to share my experiences.
Good luck!

2000 ZX3
JRSC
65MM TB
Cool Flo remapped MAF
MBRP cat back, Random Tech Cat, JBA
Modified Volant CAI
Standard Superchip
"It Screams"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that the wires won't give me any more power but I though that they would give me better mpg and a smoother idle? Also, I live in NC and snow isn't a issue where I am. If it snows I don't drive my car. Whats wrong with the pully set?

[ 10-09-2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: fallenbird ]

·
Registered
647 Posts
Originally posted by fallenbird:
I know that the wires won't give me any more power but I though that they would give me better mpg and a smoother idle? Also, I live in NC and snow isn't a issue where I am. If it snows I don't drive my car. Whats wrong with the pully set?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">welcome to the jet

wires do some what better idle and mpg(email me or pm or im me) and i know what you mean on the snow, what snow

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on the new Focus and also welcome to the Jet.
Good luck with your mods you will find that there is lot of fine people here willing to help you out. I have the JBA header some people have had problems some haven't so your decision there. The only thing about getting a shorty is that a high flow cat is.....how do you say very expensive that is why I am hoping Bosal makes it at a lower cost.

Papa

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you go with the f/c race header,magnaflow, and cams...you better be ready for your car to be loud...i like mine loud...i have the borla f/c race and f/c flex pipe...nice pitch right now...ill be dropping the the cams shortly...which will make it only a little bit louder....but really..how loud do u want ur car...cuz we found out the magnaflow and race header is as loud as it gets this weekend

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
a great thing about focaljet is the search option, you can search for whatever someone might have said on a certain topic. use that to your advantage. id look up what people have said about the pulleys and whatever else you are interested in.

Jon

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The pulley is good-it gives you real power without apparent drawbacks but cuts back belt speed and boost on the JRSC. Be prepared for the noise-almost all the mods that give you power also make your car louder. While I and a lot of other people like the noise of a performance Zetec, I eventually had another resonator added to tone it down just a bit.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
talk to the forced induction guys about the nitros and what you might need.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have similar plans for my two month old ZTS Mach... (performance-wise)

1. I'm undecided one what type of intake to get... Volant, Mac, or AEM CAI.
2. FC Throttle Body
3. Borla Exhaust
4. FC Crank Pulley
5. Screamin Demon wires/coils
6. Headers of some sort, probably JBA
7. Chip eventually
8. Turbo eventually (a long long eventually)

I live in Atlanta, no worries about snow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
congrats on the new focus,

id say to go with an intake, 65mm tb, header, flex pipe, exhaust, and udp ( i too would advise aginst a three piece set ) its alot easier to change the crank pulley. these as initial mods will make, future mods like cams, gears, chip, ignition compoments really wake up. here are a couple pics of mine

[ 10-11-2002, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Machine ]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome to the Jet

I can only tell you from my exp, amount UPD, intake(I have ice-man) and cat-back. UPD will give you the best bang for the $. It not only give you more hp, it will also make ur car alot more driveable.
P.S I live up north and I don't have any problem

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by DangerMouse:
I have similar plans for my two month old ZTS Mach... (performance-wise)

1. I'm undecided one what type of intake to get... Volant, Mac, or AEM CAI.
2. FC Throttle Body
3. Borla Exhaust
4. FC Crank Pulley
5. Screamin Demon wires/coils
6. Headers of some sort, probably JBA
7. Chip eventually
8. Turbo eventually (a long long eventually)

I live in Atlanta, no worries about snow.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DM, you copying me? Just Kidding. I have most all of the above, except Turbo (with no plans to, thinking of staying NA).

As far as how to proceed, open up the airflow first, Intake, T/B, Cat*Back (or for you picky folks, flex*back) exhaust. I love my DiabloChip on my 5 speed ZTS, kicks ass. As far as wires, if you like the look, upgrade 'em, but no real bang for your $$ with just wires.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Possum, I have the same exact car as you and just so you know I love what you're doing and I'm following in your footsteps. Check your email!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts