Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go to temple on Monday for Yom Kippur and my temple is near the top of Mulholland near Bel Air. The road to the parking lot was steep, maybe 10 or 11% grade. There was a stupid idiot in a 2002 Silver Mercedes S500 that felt that he needed to do 2mph up the hill and some guy in an late '80's Jaguar XK12 on my ass. I had to ride the clutch the whole way up, and if I did not I would roll backwards. Well this has a tendancy to eat up a clutch, better yet it has a tendancy to fry it. Well what ever the reason here is what happened today.

I had some things to do today so I did them, I went to pick up my Ball Python and he was strike happy, striking at me numerous times when I tried to pick him up. I got ahold of him with a pool cue and put him in his transport tank to take him to a herp friend of mine. While I was driving I had no problems what-so-ever, nothing wrong at all. It was performing well with no clutch slippage or anything. I parked at the pet store that my friend works at, and turned off the car. I spent about 35 minutes at the pet store watching my ball python down 3 full grown mice. here is where the fun part starts.

I go outside and out my snake on the passenger seat, put my key in the ignition and start my car. Right after I start her up I hear a knocking sound, like someone hammering on the rook of the building. So I turn my car off and the sound goes away. My first thought was ohhhhhhhhh noooooooooo.
. I turned my car on again and the sound came back, my heart sank, I got so depressed, I turned off the car and popped the hood. I was looking to see if maybe something had gotten lodged into the belt and maybe that was making the noise. I turned my car on again and again looked at the belt, there was nothing in the belts, so i looked at the tranny area, because by that time I could smell the pungent smell of burning clutch again. The noise was coming from the tranny.

I called Ford Roadside Assitance to have the car towed to Galpin Ford. By the tie the tow truck uy got there the noise had become a clunking and an amost howling perhaps a squeaking noise aswell. It was lovely.
I had my car towed to Galpin, where I had to go to the after hours rental dept, give them a $250 authorization so I could rent a car. I made sure to get the $12 a day extra coverage cause I knew I was gonna take out my transgressions on the rental.
So here I am typing to you, with a Saturd L200 on the street and my car just sitting at Galpin Ford waiting for them to open.

Thank god I bought the Drivetrain warranty from Frod that portects me from everything on my tranny (including wear and tear) for 5 years or 60,000 miles. I have not even had my car fr a year (Since December 14 2002) and I have 13,398 miles on it when I dropped it off.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Next time you're on a grade like that and you've got to ride the clutch, pull up on your parking break just enough to keep the car from rolling backwards (a few clicks), but where you can still move forward without disengageing it. It's better to wear down the pads a bit rather than burning up the clutch.

BTW, unless I'm reading wrong, you shouldn't have had to give the dealership squat for a rental. Does the dealership not know that your are entitled to a rental for free just because you own a SVT?

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Sorry to hear about your possible clutch problem

But like Jeremy said being an SVT owner you get a loaner car for all service related problems while under the factory warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles so I would look in to that as it is stated in the SVT supplement manual that comes with your car.Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the stupid lady behind the "after hours" cashiers desk said she did not have any access to any paper work and that it is just an authorization. I did not have to time or the energy to sit there and argue with her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts