Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....good news, I got off of 95 before it really went downhill..and the rain was finished. For a few weeks, if I would turn on my A/C my battery light would come on. I figured it was an UDP issue. My fix was to not use the A/C. Worked until today. I had to take my wife and mother in-law to a funeral veiwing. The whole way the AC was blasting. Battery light would come on.....as soon as I push the clutch and the R's would drop to 1100 (idle) the light would go out. When I push the gas pedal, light came back on.

The last hoorah, I come off 95, sitting at the exit at a red light. My ABS light pops on. Then my SRS light....TC, battery, the exclamation point....then I notice my cluster is dead. All needles are zeroed. My idle starts to get really lopey....light turns green and I pull away...lights started to disappear - still no cluster...all of a sudden, all lights come on, and my headlights go out....but my motor is still running and I can accelerate. I smell a "plastic burning smell" and I pull it over and call it quits. Called a tow truck and had it towed back to my house.

I was SUPPOSED to be dropping my car off at my parents to yank my wheels and redo my suspension, but my tow bill wouldve gone from $49 to probably $149 since its $3/mile and they are a good 20-30 minutes from me. So, I need to get my car running ASAP so I can pull my wheels off.

Here's a few tests Ive done:

-Swapped batteries. Same condition.

-Voltage test (while running) 11.57v and dropping .01v every 3 seconds.

-While running, pulled the positive cable. Car died.

Everything tells me the alternator is crapped out.......

Anyone have any other suggestions!?

Is it poss. to pull the alt with out removing the intake manifold??

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Darth, I plan to swap out my alt. this weekend.

I'm going to be following these dierctions.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=45

It says u can do it w/o removing the intake manifold. I've heard it maeks it easier but I'm not removing it b/c I don't want to have to put it all abck together.

I'll let you know how it goes on my non-SVT zetec.

btw, i'm having the exact same problems as you.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Had this happen to me as well

Just got car back from dealer warrenty repair.

Did your also make the "whining sound"

from my understanding all you have to do is remove the coolant res. and power steering out of the way and you can reach it

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peice of cake..did it all through the top. Removed the coolant and PS tanks...undid the doo-dad on the firewall and harnesses...and just moved everything I could. It was a PITA trying to get it out though...you have to do it at the right angles with such little space...but, off to the electrical shop on Monday, with some beefed up internals...Im gonna make this thing so it'll power a small village...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
July 27 - Alternator is back on. Required a jumpstart...battery is dead dead dead. I left it running, and shut it off, it only had 4-5v at best. Soooooo...now I'm going to get a battery.

BTW, I'll have to take some pictures, but my alternator fried. It looks like it caught on fire. Everything is burned.

$139 later though, I had a freshly rebuilt alternator....lets hope this one does its job.

BTW, no battery light when I turned on the AC...so far, so good..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts