Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SVT\'s slow 1/4 mile times....

either I can't drive or it's just slow. I think it's a combo of both. This was my first time back at the track in about 8 years. I decided to head for the Street Legal Drags held once a month at California Speedway in Fontana. It was pretty warm about high 80's,low 90's and we had a pretty good headwind. (I hear that this track sucks, I wish they still opened Pomona.)

First run realy sucked... My car kept creeping forward at the line, I reved to about 4500rpm and let go of the clutch
I spun them pretty good and got a horrible 60' time.
1st run:
60'-3.011
330-7.273
1/8-10.826
mph-70.70
1000-13.913
1/4-16.519
mph-87.30

Second run, I held the parking brake to keep the car from rolling forward, I reved to about 3500 rpm and let the clutch out slower, the run felt better..but it really did not improve much.

Second run:
60'-2.537
330-7.011
1/8-10.637
mph-68.43
1000-13.778
1/4-16.411
mph-86.29

When I got home I looked at my Dyno sheet and realized I was shifting way to early at about 6700-6800rpm when my dyno run makes peak power about 7200rpm...oh well next month I'll try again. (I also had a full tank of gas...I decided to go at the last minute)
Is there something wrong w/ my car or is it just me?
Any tips for next time?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Re: My SVT\'s slow 1/4 mile times....

that 2.5 60 foot run looks very slow. When i had a 2.4 60 foot i had a 15.5 or so quarter mile. try shifting at redline next time. Also, do you have traction control?

·
Registered
411 Posts

The best I've seen is 15.4 @ 92 mph.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2129a.shtml

When I saw them launch it on the tv show, they revved it way up, dumped the clutch and let the tires spin. You lose some grip this way, but you make up for it by not bogging the engine. If you have the winter package, don't expect very good times, because you'll be forced to bog the engine off the line. I don't even bother drag racing the SVTF because it's honestly really terrible at it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Nope,my focus is bone stock w/ 0 options.

·
Registered
411 Posts

You and I must be about the only ones with no options.
They're very rare!

·
Registered
340 Posts

You and I must be about the only ones with no options.
They're very rare!
Same here.... ZERO options.... wait, I have a sunroof, was that an option in 02?

·
Registered
411 Posts

Yup, sunroof was an option... you can't join the exclusive no option club.

·
Registered
411 Posts

No audiophile, no sunroof and no winter package. I ordered it that way to save weight and $$$. It turned out that I also like that I don't have to worry about my cd player eating cds, my roof leaking and non-defeatable traction control interfering with my driving.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Why would you drag race an svt focus? I mean honestly, its hardly what the car was designed to do. You should probably buy a Mustang and then sell me you no options svt.

·
Registered
848 Posts

my zx3 without backseat and spare along with bolt ons was making 15.5's easily. I hope with bolt ons the svt can beat that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yup, I would hope that it would do better than a 16 sec 1/4 mile. I know it's not a drag car, but....common on ...16 seconds? There were PT crusiers doing 15.5's at a slower trap speed (maybe I should have lent them my car to see what they could squeeze out of it)

No sunroof, no audio, no winter package, no HID's... mines a barebones SVT w/ extra doors.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Just take it to the track again. Launch the car at 4K rpm and shift at 7200 rpm, and you'll be shocked how much of a difference that will make.

I doubt anything is wrong with your car judging from what power you get at the wheels.
What he said! Plus, like u were saying, California Speedway isn't the greatest track, especially w/ that headwind! Don't you have a 5 door?

Anyhow, it'll be a different story once those cams are in! Don't forget to give me a ride!!

BTW, I don't have any options either.

Jay

·
Registered
94 Posts

I have options and mods, so far on a hot humid day my best time has been a 15.6. So far a 3,000-3,500 Clutch drop works really good with a little spin and then they hook up, more then that is usually too much spin and less causes it to bog. I always take it to redline down at the track and actually i usually take it close to fuel shut off level, i have hit the rev limiter a few times which probably isn't that great for the car but SVT really did so much to our engines im sure they can take it every once in a while. I know our cars are pretty terrible straight line cars but they arent too bad for four bangers and i mean if you have fun you have fun, thats the point right?

·
Registered
848 Posts

hmm was that 15.6 without back seat and spare. I am in the market to replace my focus and if with all the bolt ons thats as good as it can do then i might think about buying the zx3 instead since I was able to do the same times.

·
Registered
106 Posts

do you think a lightweight flywheel and stage 1 clutch would take any time off?

sorry... not trying to jack your thread... just wondering...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

hmm was that 15.6 without back seat and spare. I am in the market to replace my focus and if with all the bolt ons thats as good as it can do then i might think about buying the zx3 instead since I was able to do the same times.
If 1/4 mile is your thing the SVTF is NOT for you.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

What he said! Plus, like u were saying, California Speedway isn't the greatest track, especially w/ that headwind! Don't you have a 5 door?

Anyhow, it'll be a different story once those cams are in! Don't forget to give me a ride!!

BTW, I don't have any options either.

Jay
Hey Jay,
ya the guys I talked to at the track said that the track is pretty slow...But I think my lack of practice has more to do with the slow times. Last night I practiced on a lonely side street, and taking it up into the red zone made a huge diffrence, I was babing the car too much on the track.
According to what I've read on here the 5 door only adds an additional 50lbs, plus the lack of options should but me close to the weight of other 3 door SVT's.
About the cams...I haven't heard anything yet from Focus sport, I think that I'm going to have to wait like everybody else is. Apparently they decided to make the cam lumpy, which I really don't like, I would have prefered a cam that could go unnoticed by anyone especially the ford dealership. Maybe I should start saving for some Forced Induction, or the smart move would be to pull my 88' CRX Si out of the weeds and start working on that instead of spending money on my daily driver.

·
Registered
275 Posts

If 1/4 mile is your thing the SVTF is NOT for you.
AMEN

1 - 20 of 24 Posts