Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TB doesn\'t have fins, what gives?!

CheeperSleeper and I ported my TB this weeked, and we were both surprised to find that it didn't have fins, and on the butterfly there were 3 ridges that extended the diameter or the piece. My car was built in Jan. 2000 and the VIN shows a built number 165,xxx.

BTW, the mod worked great, the only thing I notice is that the rpms hang from 2k to 1400.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Re: My TB doesn\'t have fins, what gives?!

Mike, and I are going to have a TB boring party coming up pretty quick. How long did it take you, all said, and done?

Plus, we can compare our TB's to see how different they are(My car was built in 11/99, Mike's is an '01).

Latre, Al

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

We took our time, no rush at all, and finished in about an hour. This includes Epoxy, increaseing the idle to 900, re-install, and porting the MAF (I almost forgot we did that). The gains really are worth the time spent; it's quite a bit easier to change lanes, and I don't have to floor the gas to get moving. I have never used a dremel in my life, and did some of the work with no worries. Very easy job to do.

Here is more info on the TB and cars:

My Car was built in 01/00, and has the y2k Intake Manifold and 'Early' TB. Automatic Tranny.

CheeperSleeper's car was built in 05/00, has the y2k Manifold, and the 'Newer' TB. Manual Tranny.

Our TBs have different part numbers too.

·
Registered
222 Posts

I'm almost positive that the auto's all have that TB. I'm not 100% sure though but every auto TB I've seen has that style, which looks to be the better style IMHO. Now I've got a question, can the TB from an auto, or even just the butterfly from it be used with a manual? And if so does any one else think the butterfly on the auto looks like a better design?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Having had auto and man. TBs side by side, I'd have to say it LOOKS like the Auto TB is a better design, but I'm no mechanic and can't be sure. Everything looked like it would mount up the same, and it would be interesting to see how a man. would react with an auto TB.

·
Registered
745 Posts

i believe the TPS sensor location is different between the auto and the mani tb...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts

Originally posted by iamgod:
i believe the TPS sensor location is different between the auto and the mani tb...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure is the bolts for the 2002's MT and and 2000-2001 are different too. SO there are 3 different mounting holes depending on your configuration from the factory. Probably the new 2003 TB is different too.

·
All your search engine are belong to me
1,537 Posts

ok, call me stupid, but how did you go about raising the idle???

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

There is a screw on the TB that controls the idle. I spun it up to increase idle to 900. Braking is great, but the gas is mucho sensitive now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts