Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics....

Anyways the reason I was posting here was partially by request, and partially to brag that I beat a viper last night at the track...

My timeslip
R/t .518 on a .5 light
60' 2.149
1/8 8.9 @ 79.69
1/4 13.891 @ 97.93

His Times
R/t .754
60' 2.510-total embarrasment
1/8 9.2 @ 85.90
1/4 13.788 @ 112.31

I won by a margin of .1332, and in real life it was half a car or so...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
106 Posts
Explain how if you ran a 13.89 to his 13.78 you beat him? Sure you spanked him in the 60 and the 1/8 but he smoked you at the end.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Explain how if you ran a 13.89 to his 13.78 you beat him? Sure you spanked him in the 60 and the 1/8 but he smoked you at the end.
Reaction times my friend, reaction times!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
[/quote

Right – if they weren't bracket racing (e.g. head up) then a slower E.T. could win. It's whoever makes it to the end fastest.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
goes to show you what a better driver can do. That viper should be running a lot faster than that shouldn't they?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice, what kind of Viper was it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reaction times have no bearing what-so-ever on a race. I can sit at the light for 3 seconds if I know that your car runs a 19 and mine runs a 15, and still smoke the [censored] outta you. Likewise, if this was a brackat race, re could have been standing at the light for an hour, as long as his run was faster than the other guy.

So your notion of reaction times making the difference is BS.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
In a heads up race all that matters is who makes it to the end the fastest. The mav won this race. Quit being a killjoy. Let the man be proud.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Reaction times have no bearing what-so-ever on a race. I can sit at the light for 3 seconds if I know that your car runs a 19 and mine runs a 15, and still smoke the [censored] outta you. Likewise, if this was a brackat race, re could have been standing at the light for an hour, as long as his run was faster than the other guy.

never been to the track before?
Its called a HOLE SHOT if I sit at the light for 1.3 seconds while you cut a perfect light. I can still lose with a faster quarter mile time. ET dosent start untill you cross the line. the race starts when the light hits green.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, if some of you guys have never been to the track it is easy to understand how it looks like I lost...This race was heads up which means we both left on the same light, there for because his R/T and 60' times suck he lost, and to the dude who said r/t's have nothing to do with it, try to compete in a bracket format while waiting at the tree for 1.3 seconds and see if you can dial that in...oh well I figured I'd get flamed by those who are not as akin to the track as others...Peace

Lox

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
GREAT JOB!!!
(Good thing it wasn't 3/8 mile....
)
Nice drive.
Wouldn't you be able to go faster if the entire car didn't sit THAT high??

I know Drag set-ups are different than Road-course or Auto-X or Salt-Flats, but there's still an issue of ALOT of air getting under the car...
I'd think that'd cause lift, and possibly reduced traction as you get to the top-end.
Maybe the torque isn't great enough to induce wheelspin at the top-end anyway?
I KNOW that all of the old Stocker drag cars from the 60's sat pretty high in the front to shift weight to the rear wheels, but yours looks evenly high all around.
More info please?

·
Registered
288 Posts

uh... did you think b4 writing that??? or are you just a drag racing n00b that thinks all there is to drag racing is "go fast, hang on"...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GREAT JOB!!!
(Good thing it wasn't 3/8 mile....
)
Nice drive.
Wouldn't you be able to go faster if the entire car didn't sit THAT high??

I know Drag set-ups are different than Road-course or Auto-X or Salt-Flats, but there's still an issue of ALOT of air getting under the car...
I'd think that'd cause lift, and possibly reduced traction as you get to the top-end.
Maybe the torque isn't great enough to induce wheelspin at the top-end anyway?
I KNOW that all of the old Stocker drag cars from the 60's sat pretty high in the front to shift weight to the rear wheels, but yours looks evenly high all around.
More info please?
The main problem is the gears...They are 4.56 with a 9" rear and a spool, which is great for that hole shot but not great for the end of the track, once I shift to 3rd all hopes of massive acceleration are over. By suggestion I pumped the tire pressure up to 18lbs so I wasn't dragging a flatter tire at the end of the track, what I really need to work on is bringing the car to a start and holding it with the line-loc at the start line....Once I put a built motor in it we are going to switch to 4.11 gears and go with a stall convertor so more than likely we'll see quite a bit lower times, anything below 11.99 is all the faster I want to go, maybe high 10's but thats it....its a bracket racer and consistency is more the name of the game than speed...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
236 Posts
Those are fun little cars. I had a 74 Comet with a 302 and surprised many people with it!
Way to go

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
God that sounded dumb. Sorry Lox, ta mav is ta shiznit. I knew when I saw it, that it didn't f*** around. If you go fast enough, the brown paint will blow off and you can paint it...eggyolk yellow!
anyway, congrats on your victory, now beat him in the focus next...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts