Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I posted pics of this before, but never in a thread in the right category. So here it is:

1975 Schwinn Collegiate, bought new buy may dad and hanging in the barn for the last 20+ years.

I had to have the itres and tubes replaced, as well as a new cable and a full tune up. Cost me $100.00 but she rides like a dream. And that seat is way more comfortable than road or mountain bike's. :thumbup:

I added the headlight and mirror from eBay. The cable lock and mount I bought at the store that did the tune up.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also have a period Schwinn rear rack to put on. Also bought it from eBay, and the previous owner pinched the connector at the front where it attaches to the seat post clamp. Trying to get it spread apart, but taking my time. Don't want to crack the aluminum.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Can't see your pics but I know what those look like, they're indestructible but they are tanks.

On the other hand dragging that 40 pound bike around will help you get in shape quick.

Personally I prefer a good old fashioned leather saddle, much more comfortable than you might think.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Old Schwinn 10-speeds are great bikes, very well made and will last forever with hardly any maintenance. I STILL give my dad crap for selling his years ago for $50 (he rides a Cannondale now, but still would have been a fun bike.)

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Old Schwinn 10-speeds are great bikes, very well made and will last forever with hardly any maintenance. I STILL give my dad crap for selling his years ago for $50 (he rides a Cannondale now, but still would have been a fun bike.)
Depending on what your dad had I wouldn't blame him for selling the old Schwinn, they are bulletproof but they weigh a TON!

A Varsity/Continental/Collegiate, basically any of the old Electoforged frame bikes tip the scales at around 40 pounds which is fine on flat ground if you just want to cruise around in comfort but they'll kill you on hills.

Now if your dad had an old Paramount, LeTour 12.2 or something like a Voyageur 11.8 then I would give him grief because those really are sweet rides.

My '79 Raleigh is actually heavier than I'd like at 28 pounds fully dressed out for riding and I'm rebuilding my '77 Raleigh for lighter weight for next year and it should come in around 24 pounds when I'm done which is a respectable weight for a vintage steel frame bike.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
Holy crap 40lbs, I would've never guessed. Even 28lbs seems crazy when you can get full suspension all mountain bikes well under that weight today.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Holy crap 40lbs, I would've never guessed. Even 28lbs seems crazy when you can get full suspension all mountain bikes well under that weight today.
Very true but how much does it cost? I agree that modern bikes are amazing but that comes at a price.

Besides the fact that when my wife and I hit the local trails we spend half our time calling out "on your left" while we smoke past people on their sub 20 pound modern bikes.

Vintage steel bikes are a bit heavier than modern stuff but they ride beautifully and look fantastic but then the looks of bikes are like cars, everyone likes different things.

My 68cm Super Grand Prix,

My wifes early 70s Bottecchia,

My son on the other hand has the lightest full size road bike in the garage, a 21 pound aluminum frame Vitus 979.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Steve! Like you said they're indestructable but they're tanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts