Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing my cylinder head gasket, timing belt and radiator hose now my car wont start. When I try to turn it over it jsut makes this clicking sound. I have started trying to eliminate potential problems. So far I hav eeliminated the battery,cam timing off,fuel getting to the motor. I am suspecting that it might be the ignition coil but I have no way to check that. I need to be sure that this is the right problem before i drop 150 bucks on a ignition system this close to xmas. Please help me out. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
pu socket on crank pulley and move it just bit bak and forward see if it moves and then tap the starter

·
Registered
258 Posts
it sounds like you may possibly have a bad starter somehow unless you hear it turning over. if you just hear a click, that may just be the starter solenoid clicking which could mean a bad starter.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think its a bad starter. It not that kind of clicking. I know what thout sounds like. I should say clacking. Liek I was banging a spoon on a piece of tin. I think that its turning over because the cams are moving. I am also sure that I have it a TDC. This happened the last time when I removed the head and all Ineeded was a jump start. Would it make a difference if I used a diferent car for a jump? Before I used my friends jeep but this time I used my wifes car and it has a small battery. Also I described the problem to one of my friends over the phone,who is an ASE certified mechanic, and he said that I might have some bent valves but he would have to look at it first to be sure. He had me try to turn the crank and when I did it was very hard to turn and it was making the same clacking sound. I thought that with bent valves it would still start but you could hear it ticking. I just need some advice. Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just thought of somethig. My crower stage 2 exhasut cam snapped while I was trying to take the cam gear off in the begining of the install. I have my stock cam that I was trying to put back in while I wait for the new crower one to get to me. Could this be casing the clacking sound? I know that the lobes are alot taller that the crower on but i didnt htink the head was decked that much from FC.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Did you remember to take out the lash caps? if not you might have sent some of your valves into the piston.....Russell

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what it is i know now. Iguess i will just have to wait till the crower on gets back. Damnit. Ihope i didnt bend any of the valves. what are the odds of that happening?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Ouch...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well smoothy I kinda freaked out when the crower cam snapped. So i stopped for the day. The next day when I was working on my car the wife was in the garage showing me her tits and trying to get me in the bed so i lost my train of thought and just slapped the cam in there before I went upstairs. Oh well I looked at the pistons today through the plug hole and the dont look like they have been touched hard so i think I am safe. Now i just have to wait till i get my cam back to drive my car.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Did you ever check valve clearance before starting the car? That is a pretty important step if you ask me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts