Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got a brand new tranny put in my car and now I'm having some sigificant problems. First problem is I can't get the car into any gear (1,2,3,4,5,R) if the car is cold. Second, is when the car is finally warm, I have to force the car into fist, and the only way I can get it into first without having to force it is to put it into first at about a 5mph roll or so. The tranny in general just feels like crap. Does this sound like a fulid problem, or a linkage problem, or both?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If every gear is bad, it's most likely the linkage and/or the clutch.

I say re-bleed the clutch.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, one thing I think I should mention is that while the car is moving the trans works, just isn't smooth getting into gear (takes more force than it should)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, checked it today, and linkage is fine. Is bleeding the clutch the only other suggestion you have?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If the linkage is fine, my guess is the clutch isn't disengaging completely. So yes, I suggest re-bleeding it.

An easy way to confirm a clutch problem is to try double-declutching. If it shifts just fine when you double-declutch, I'd suspect a clutch problem.

Other stuff I'd try is to raise the front wheels off the ground and, with the engine off, see if you can move through all the gears. You can also try putting it in 1st or Reverse, depressing the clutch, and having an assistant try to turn the wheels. If the clutch isn't disengaging, your assistant won't be able to spin the wheels without a fair amount of effort. Actually, I think you'll need two assistants for that, because of the way the differential works. But you get the idea - if the clutch doesn't disengage, spinning the wheels will require turning over the engine, which requires much more force than just spinning the transmission's gears.

Oh, wait - forget the part about jacking it up. Just park the car with the parking brake OFF, put it in 1st or Reverse, press the clutch, and have an assistant try to push the car. That should be a really easy way to see if the clutch is disengaging.

Sorry for the rambling - I'm sort of thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the linkage is fine, my guess is the clutch isn't disengaging completely. So yes, I suggest re-bleeding it.

An easy way to confirm a clutch problem is to try double-declutching. If it shifts just fine when you double-declutch, I'd suspect a clutch problem.

Other stuff I'd try is to raise the front wheels off the ground and, with the engine off, see if you can move through all the gears. You can also try putting it in 1st or Reverse, depressing the clutch, and having an assistant try to turn the wheels. If the clutch isn't disengaging, your assistant won't be able to spin the wheels without a fair amount of effort. Actually, I think you'll need two assistants for that, because of the way the differential works. But you get the idea - if the clutch doesn't disengage, spinning the wheels will require turning over the engine, which requires much more force than just spinning the transmission's gears.

Oh, wait - forget the part about jacking it up. Just park the car with the parking brake OFF, put it in 1st or Reverse, press the clutch, and have an assistant try to push the car. That should be a really easy way to see if the clutch is disengaging.

Sorry for the rambling - I'm sort of thinking out loud here.
ok, I guess I've got a job for my little brother this afternoon....good thing it's only like 118* out here. Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts