Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, it depends on how much power you want and how much you're willing to spend to get there. If you're happy enhancing your Zetec from 106whp stock to 140-150whp modified, then you can definitely stay N/A with work to the head, intake system, exhaust system, and computer. If you want over that, it'll be a lot harder to do with N/A. Although it's possible to hit 200whp or more N/A, the easiest way to do so is with some small mods to the head, a high-flow exhaust, and throw in a Stage 2 or 3 turbo. That will easily get you up near 200whp or more depending on the modifications you perform.

If you're asking which is better for the Zetec, I'd say either. N/A is what most Focus owners have, but Ford does offer a JR Supercharger for the car so we know that they see nothing wrong with forced induction as well. Hope I didn't ramble on too much and helped. Peace.

- Matt

·
Registered
723 Posts
N: naturally
A: asparated (sp?)

n/a = all motor.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by FocusXny:
Turbos are just plain easier. Just bolt on 200HP.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeaaa rigghtt...you just bolt on 200HP and your ass will be stuck on the side of the freeway sprouting oil everywhere....you dont just pay for the turbo..gotta get proper fuel and all that...

youd be surprised how nice NA is once you get up above 140whp...its really worth it...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
FI is the way to go for the most and easiest power increase-thats not to say that you can't give a NA car a real boost in power but it takes a fair amount of work to get there.
Tom is right-turbos are best for ultimate power but from what I have gathered on the Jet they require skill, hard work, and maybe some luck to get fuel management right and keep the engine from blowing up. My experience is with the JRSC which is truly a bolt on upgrade that is well engineered, reliable, has no fuel issues and very importantly, is CARB compliant. It's also expensive and doesn't give a huge power increase but it does respond to further modifications to increse its modest power boost(I can't wait for the boost upgrade to come out!). It's made specifically for the Focus and works very well with the Zetec engine. One thing about NA is that you can go that route a small piece at a time whereas with FI it's one big cost up front.

2000 ZX3 W/ JRSC, JBA, FC 65MM TB, Cool Flo MAFS, Random Tech Cat, MBRP cat back, Modified Volant, standard Superchip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts