Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got me the car in my sig, I traded in my 2001 green ZX3 for it, got everything I wanted for the trade, got the car at X-plan, $2000 rebate, $400 college grad rebate, and the ESP 5/100,000 mile warrenty to replace the just engine and trans warrenty they have on the new ones for 5/100,000. My payments are only $200 a month just to let you guys know who might be interested. Be talking more in the SVT forum here now instead of just Zetec, the car is great, just one issue I wanted to ask you smart SVT guys, I am bedding in the brakes like normal on a new car, the steering wheel likes to shake a little, while stoping, is that the big brakes bedding in or cold something else be wrong from the factory. Just wondering, got 100 miles on it now, and going easy on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, I have not experienced a "shaking" when braking. I think some people did have problems with bad rotors when the 02's came out initially. Can you describe what you feel a little more in depth.

·
Registered
248 Posts
loosen and re-torque your lug nuts. Also, do a search on brake break-in. If the threads are still around you can find some detailed discussions that should have your fix.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you apply the break with the car say in neutral and it can do it while in gear too, but I would say between 10-35mph the wheel shakes a little like it is following the road or so, if you are going slow enough you don't feel it anymore, it does feel like they might be warped, but not sure, I think the car was sitting on their lot for a couple months so it could be that, but like I said on have 100 miles on it, so I will give it till 500-1000 if still doing it something might be wrong. I hope it isn't something serious like the abs or anything like that. Should the torque on the lugs be like the 16inch wheels on the ZX3 around 90 foot lbs? Thanks guys the car is awesome compared to now power anything and no luxury ZX3.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
First off congrats on getting your new 2003 SVTF!!

As far as the steering wheel shakes on braking sounds like the rotors might be slightly warped or possibly the lug nuts were over torqued originally.Best thing to do is set a service appointment to have it looked at.The lug nut torque spec is around 90-95 lbs. although there has been some debate over which it should be set at from other SVTF Jetters.I just keep mine set at 95 lbs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thumbs up on your new SVTF ASUFocusZX3. Sorry I don't have any info on your problem, but it looks like you got a good response from the group. Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
My cars brakes shake, as well. It's more speed dependent than anything else. I've had warped rotors before, and this is definitely not any warping at all. It seems to vibrate alot at about 10-15 mph, as said, but if you press down on the brakes alot harder, the vibrations go away. The way I originally fixed this problem was to get the tires rebalanced, and that fixed the problem. I had many problems with the wheels vibrating at about 70mph all the time, and a balance fixed the problem.... for about a week.

So basically, I'd attribute it to the tires. Increased brake pressure would only make the vibrations of a warped rotor worse. Get a good balance (the free Ford one won't last
) and make sure to remove the mounted weights that are on there now before you get that done.

I can't wait to get my new tires

·
Registered
16 Posts
How much did you get for trade-in (that was put towards the new car)? Just crunching numbers on Edmunds, I have it down to about $270/mo, with only $1000 down. Unforunately I'm almost upside down on the car listed in the sig, so I don't know if I can pull this off or not.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update:, the shaking steering wheel has gone away and I have 500 miles on my SVT now, so just had to bed the brakes in that was all, that was what I was hoping for.

EdgeCat: I got $5500 for my 2001 ZX3 with no power anything, and I also put $2000 down it all the other I believe I posted earlier. If you need anything else just let me know, but if I wasn't for the X=plan and the $2400 in rebates I would have had a much higher payment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts