Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for awhile but I still cant find a site that lists what is legal and what isnt. in the way of, nightshading your tail lamps, modifying the exterior, that type of thing. if anyone has a link please post it. thanks

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that one but I cant find the actual list of regulations. do you know how to get to that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
might wanna try your own states, state trooper/highway patrol website for laws on cars, i know it's on the va state trooper's

example:
tint regulations
altering suspension
etc...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your state's laws are what you really need to be familiar with, because if a cop pulls you over he will be doing so under a state or local law.

(Side note)
When I lived in SA a few years ago I thought the city cops were really cool with modded cars. Short story... I had to retrun to my shop from an auto-x at Retama because I forgot something. I rolled a stopsign turning onto Perrin-Bitle (is that how you spell it? been a while) I was driving my showroom stock Neon with stickers all over it. Got pulled over, couple of questions about the car, but no ticket. The cops were really cool.
This was before the whole fast and furious craze so cops now might be gunning for sport compacts.

My best advise is to be really polite, and tell anyone that asks you that really thought the mod was legal.

[ 05-21-2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Scottybob ]

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perrin-Beitel

yeah, the cops for the most part are pretty cool about it. they let the washer lights go on for a long time. till everyone had them and then they started cracking down. I just think its good info to know, AND I wanna niteshade my tails. but I dont need any tickets.

·
Registered
212 Posts
From Texas Dept. of Public Safety website:

Inspection/Rejection Criteria
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20.27 Tail Lamp. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and trucks manufactured or assembled prior to the model year 1960 shall have at least one tail lamp. On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the taillamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 72 inches nor less than 15 inches. Taillamps are used only to designate the rear of a vehicle.

Every tail lamp upon motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, or mopeds shall be located at a height of not more than 72 inches nor less than 20 inches. Tail lamp lens must be of a type meeting Department of Public Safety standards.

At least two taillamps are required on all motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers, except that at least one tail lamp is required on motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and mopeds and all 1959 model year and earlier passenger cars and trucks.

1. Inspection Procedure. Check operation and condition visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Required lamp or lamps are not present.

b. Lamp is not securely mounted to vehicle.

c. Lamp does not completely emit a red light plainly visible 1,000 feet to the rear.

d. Lamp lens is painted, missing, discolored, or does not fit properly.

e. Wiring is shoddy or electrical connections are poor.

f. Lamp is not wired so as to be lighted when head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

g. Lamp is obstructed by any part of the body.

h. Lamp lens is not red color.

i. Lamps are not mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

j. Lamps are not mounted on rear of vehicle.

k. Lens is cracked or broken to the extent that a portion of the lens is missing and/or separated, permitting light from the bulb to emit through the crack or break.

NOTE: Lamp lenses cannot be repaired with repair tape or repair kit.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hope this helps...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it does. thank you!
guess I'll buy some lunds instead of the niteshade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts