Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has come to replace my syncro's

soooo........

Since I have to open up the tranny I have been looking at aftermarket tranny parts. The question is, Which Ones???

Now, I am strictly a drag racer so I think the differencal is out of the question unless someone can sway me otherwise but I was wondering what would give me the best set-up for a drag racing. I know alot of ppl have questioned the flywheel and it's capablities in 1/4mile times. Right now I'm looking at the 4.06gears and a centerforce clutch.

Any opinions would be great

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Might as well get the flywheel and perhaps a differential like Nazthug now has. You need something that will withstand the abuse. The stock open diff. sucks from what I hear. Are you sure your tranny will accept the 4.06 gears for sure?

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
For STRICTLY drag racing you may want to consider the "Phantom Grip" diff kit (the reviews/opinions are mixed as to how streetable and/or useful it is for autocrossing, lapping days, etc.). It retains your stock diff but adds a bit of a locking mechanism to it. Price is about $250 give or take a bit for it. Do some searches to find out more details on it.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
phantom grip is junk , dont waste the money

for best bang for the buck, and this from experience, is the gears man, your car will acelerate off the line ALOT quicker, a flywheel and clutch also help alot in that. And for traction, definetly a quaife or torsen

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys but another quick question....

I'll be putting about 160hp to the wheels with the 4.06 gears and Slicks......Am i in jeoperdy of blowing my diffential???? Or is the stock unit pretty strong

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
292 Posts
Originally posted by MalibuBlueZx3:
I'll be putting about 160hp to the wheels with the 4.06 gears and Slicks......Am i in jeoperdy of blowing my diffential???? Or is the stock unit pretty strong
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">with slicks youll want a LSD to keep power to both wheels. from what ive heard the stock unit pretty much sucks, replace it.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
WHY is this in Zetec Tuning??????
There is NO discussion of the Engine.
This is one for Team Tech and Noresull's experience.

·
Registered
997 Posts
michael: because first of all it will get more responses in here, 2nd this is being done to add performance.

well were i to open the tranny it would be the gears and the clutch and flywheel with a phantom grip if you are strictly a drag racer

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Well, the "more responses in here" is the wrong answer.
But Zetec tuning is for both engine and transmission modification discussions.

The stock open differential is supposed to be the weakest link in the transmission. But raise your hand if you have broken the stock diff??? No one has on FJ to the best of my knowledge.

But of course a limited slip differential is going to be beneficial to drag racing as well. If you screw up your launch, you might as well give up for the rest of the 1/4. From a durability standpoint, the addition of a Quaife should allow you to go as high as pretty much anyone on the Jet has. Clutch again is something that will depend on your power level. Seems to hold ok up to about ~180ftlbs (can only guess based on the boost setting where mine starts to noticably slip in 4th gear on the highway).

The final drive will help out if you are pushing low power. If you are running a nitrous or turbo built car, the first gears might just end up zipping by too fast.

And I don't think a light flywheel is going to be your friend in drag racing. It could make it more difficult to launch consistently, and in theory any zippiness you improve in each gear is lost on the transition to the next (essentially breaking even). There are some before and after commentaries by those that have actually installed one on theirs, but the benefit would be more for road/rally/auto-x type racing.

BTW, if you are NA and putting out 160hp peak, your torque probably isn't going to be that high. Might want to put your money on other modifications first before you dump it on the tranny (suspension, TIRES, wheels, engine, weight reduction, etc).

·
Registered
301 Posts
I really like my Quaife for drag racing the biggest asset is the removal of tourqe steer, now I just have to hang on for dear life and slam thru the shifts as fast as I can

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Ah good... (well bad, but you know what I mean).
I had heard of the concern on www.contour.org, but didn't know of anyone that had damaged theirs here on the Jet. Was there anyone else?

BTW, did you have mad wheel hop going on? I was the proponent of "you shouldn't run that much torque w/o a quaife" a year ago... and then dropped it since no one seemed to be breaking their diffs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts