Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pick up my ZX3 a week ago
and I would really like to put an exhaust on it. But I need something that isn't too loud because the fuzz around here has a noise restriction thing going on. They are actually giving tickets if your exhaust is too loud, can you beleive that?
So all I want is a good exhaust, with a fairly deep note, that isn't too terribly loud. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nah get a BORLA,
you wont regret it. It has a nice deep tone which isn't loud at all. When you drive especially at a steady speed it's not irratating. This is your best bet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Get the Vibrant. It is nice and quiet at idle, so what if you have to put your car in neutral and push it everywhere in order to keep the sound down, atleast it will look good.
Just kidding. The vibrant is nice but it has certain rpm ranges that it just drones at and if you are looking for something quiet you might want to steer clear of it.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by KonaZXIII:
You just described the Bosal

Welcome to the Jet!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DITTO!!!!

Bosal is only loud at Wide Open Throttle.
Borla, on the other hand, is one of the very loudest exhausts available for the Focus.
I've heard and compared 90% of the systems out there, and Bosal is definitely in the quietest 2 percent, while having a very rich tone and nice power improvements for a catback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by KonaZXIII:

Welcome to the Jet!

Borla, on the other hand, is one of the very loudest exhausts available for the Focus.
I've heard and compared 90% of the systems out there, and Bosal is definitely in the quietest 2 percent, while having a very rich tone and nice power improvements for a catback.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed
Bosal Rocks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally posted by ZX3CPO:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MichaelXi:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by KonaZXIII:

Welcome to the Jet!

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed
Bosal Rocks!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Go with the Bosal

·
Registered
793 Posts

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">???? Huh? While I will agree that it is loud at WOT, it is fairly harmless compared to the plethora of rice buzzing fart cans out there (the ones on all the Hondas and such). From the Focus perspective, I think loudness has a quite bit to do with your intake and exhaust setup as well. When I have my FS Cool-Flo on, it is noticeable above 3.5-4K, however with the stock airbox, it is not too loud at all. And I do agree that the Bosal is a nice piece of equipment. I just prefer the sound of the Borla, and the quality rocks as well.

[ 09-20-2002, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
poSSumX,
You'll notice that I quantified "Available for the FOCUS", meaning that Those Honda Fart-Cans are a moot point anyway.
The Borla sounds OK, but if he NEEDS to be quiet, it's definitely not an option IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow!! Didn't expect to many responses!!
I was also considering an Iceman intake, how would this effect the sound of the Bosal, and where would I go to obtain this wonderful piece of hardware?? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Magnaflow, got em on both our Foci, nice and quiet but you know it's there. No droning at all. Real mellow with a nice deep tone. Also the best bang for the buck. best thing about it is that it's one of the quietest and only uses one muffler unlike the others that use two or three mufflers / resonators, so if you decide to go with a header in the future which really loudens up any of the catbacks, you have room to add another muffler / resonator to quiet things back down (like I did).

·
Registered
793 Posts
poSSumX,
You'll notice that I quantified "Available for the FOCUS", meaning that Those Honda Fart-Cans are a moot point anyway.
The Borla sounds OK, but if he NEEDS to be quiet, it's definitely not an option IMO.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well if quiet is all that matters go with Bosal, or the Focussport Resonated setup.

...and BTW, those ricey fart cans are being installed on all kinds of US cars by dorks. There are 2 in my area that have a freakin' Thermal ass can welded onto their Focus exhaust (resonator cutoff). Quiet is also a matter of opinion. My Borla is fairly quiet with the Iceman and stock box/K&N, but when the cone goes on, it is definitely loud, but hardly annoying. In the end, if quiet is critical, then stay stock, as they all "light up" at high RPM.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Borla and I don't think it is as loud as everyone told me it would be. However it did take me a long time to get it in. Borla can be a pain in the @$$ to get stuff from. I ordered mine on July 2nd and got it 2 weeks ago. I love it but you must be patient.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i would say pacesetter, i love mine. sounds great.
but you live in washington. i know they salt the roads for snow and ice so it may not last long.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by 02WhiteZX3:
Wow!! Didn't expect to many responses!!
I was also considering an Iceman intake, how would this effect the sound of the Bosal, and where would I go to obtain this wonderful piece of hardware?? Thanks again!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Check W/Tony D at NewEdgePerformance. (One of our fine, reputable Focaljet Sponsors.)
The Intake won't change the sound of the exhaust.
It will add a little volume on its own, however, it will be from the front of the car.
Personally, I'd recommend the Volant for you and your application.
Also, if you're looking to add performance w/o noise, w/o spending too much cash, I'd HIGHLY recommend the AF/X Crank underdrive pulley.
All of these items should be available through NewEdgePerformance, and their customer support is Stellar.

BTW,
the materials/quality of the Bosal is FAR superior to the other options.
Even if there's another that's as good, you WON'T find better.

[ 09-20-2002, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts