Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems strange but none seems to be interested in the K&N Stainless Steel fuel filters on the jet. Are they any good? Or at least worth the money (they cost around $120 here)

They claim to be filtering up to 10 microns, and are forever reusable (you dismount and wash them). But they have no kind of paper/cloth material inside. Just steel filtering parts. This would surely help with more flow and you can easily clean whenever you like.

But I am not sure if they will help with bad/impure gas (we have a lot of that here, and it is sick) as much as the paper ones.

I really would like to have the opinions of you guys out there (by the way, I have a Euro, fuel-return Foci)

[ 10-04-2002, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Cem Aygun ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I don't think it's a lack of interest, as much as it's that not too many 'Jetters have had to replace their Fuel-Filters w/o Warranty yet...
You're probably right about it not doing as well w/ BAD gas, but I'm not very sure of the effects of poor filtration at that microscopic level, so I have to say, "I dunno..."???
If I had to replace mine, and could trust the Gas as being at least decent, I'D probably do it.
It'd be nice to be able to clean it whenever, and never have to buy another.

·
Registered
538 Posts
where is the fuel filter mounted on our cars?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm getting ready to change mine this weekend. I was told it's located under the car, passenger side towards the rear. I haven't looked yet but it should be easy to spot. Advance Auto sells a Puralator for $9 and change. I'm going to go for the Motorcraft filter for $16 from my dealer. I haven't checked out the K&N but if it's $120 I'll pass. I have serious doubts about it having that much of a performance advantage. Also at that price you'd have to go through 7.5 Motorcrafts before you could justify the reuseable advantage of the K&N. For those of you that don't know that's 225,000 miles later! If you have a tremendously hopped up Focus you may need it but, I know that I never will don't. If I need to go that fast I'll hop on my Bandit 1200 and run mid 10's to my hearts content. I don't mean to be negative but I'll stick with the Motorcraft.

Dan

·
Registered
411 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to change it? I have almost 60k miles on the car and I think I should change it.
Plus I will be under the car all day long tomorrow for motor mount/megnaflow and brake rotor. Is better to do everything together.

·
Registered
66 Posts
MichaelXi,

I just realized that when I read his last post. I did a search on K&N's site but it doesn't pull up a fuel filter for the 01 model Focus (Just air and oil filters). I think I'll stick with the Motorcraft. To Focus_Is_Art, The manual recommends you change your fuel filter every 30k. I'd change it ASAP if I were you. I'm a little late myself at 38200 miles.

Dan

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys...I'll go as recommended (Motorcraft)...

And by the way, as far as I can see fuel filters (I guess there are 2 or 3 of them only) are not listed by car on the site. They are listed as universal fuel filters. Dunno why...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we frequently have to buy really bad gas here (especially if you travel out of city)

The problem with paper is that it seems get clogged easily by bad gas, and prevent a good flow (I guess the paper swells or sth.)...So this sounded like a good mod.

But all the people I have talked in Istanbul tells me to steer clear out of it, as it cannot handle the quality of the gas here...

I think I will stick to motorcraft and change it frequently....

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
H-Focus1,
I haven't priced one, but don't forget that it's $120 for him IN TURKEY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts