Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building my bottom end I put the motor in, hooked up my DIY kit and I got everything hooked up and when I started filling up the water reservoir water started coming out from the bottom of the crank pulley, I'm like WTF, where do you guys think I went wrong?. I know I torqued everything to spec, even though I do remember having to take out the pump again. Do you guys think its the water pump bolts loose. It also looked like it was coming from the block from where the skirt meets the top part of the block. Does water pass through there? I think only oil passes through there right? That gasket is an oil gasket right? I don't think water passes through there correct me if I'm wrong and please give me your input, I need this car running by Monday. Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
The only way it would leak coolant is if

a. the block is cracked
b. the head is cracked
c. the head gasket isn't sealing
d. the water pump is leaking
e. a freeze plug is missing

Did you use the two cylinder shaped pieces on the head to allign it to the block (they go where two of the head studs go in)? Did you use a new head gasket? Did you use ARP or equivalent head studs? Did you check to see that all the freeze plugs were re-installed after you had it honed? Did you use a new water pump gasket?

This should get you started...

g'luck

Nick

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I used everything new including arp studs, why would the pump leak, give me more reasons. What are freeze plugs, where would they go, can I see them now that everything is mounted? The leak is coming from under the crank pulley, I'm about to start messing with now, i'm thinking it's the pump so hopefully it is something I can fix quick. Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
Freeze plugs go in the sides, front, and back of the block and can be removed for cleaning and mantinance of the coolant passageways. If you get a block machined and it is hot tanked the freeze plugs will be removed. They look like little gold or silver discs, like little frizbees. There is no coolant flowing near the crank pulley, it must be running down there from somewhere else. If it's coming out of the crank pulley area, for sure, it means that your oil is mixed with coolant, check that.

·
Banned
926 Posts
Hmm if it's coming out near the crankpulley I would check around the waterpump just to make sure. Did you forget to use a gasket (or sealent) on the waterpump?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly what it was the damn gasket was sitting in m trunk. This set me back a day. Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts