Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have the H&R Cup Kit.
Last week I bent my LH strut, and I found out today that just the strut alone is going to cost me about $180, plus at least a 10 day lead time before I see it.
My car is in the shop, and I want it out NOW!!!
What would be a good strut to combo in with the Cup Kit front springs. I will buy two new struts if I have to, but I need to know what would be a good combo for hard street use.
The thing that pisses me off the most, is that I just installed the whole kit just over a month ago, and now I am already getting shafted over 1 strut, because of a piece of lumber in the middle of the freeway!

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
I'm guessing it's the lumber that you hit that's preventing this from being a warranty claim?

Since the cup kit is so low I'm not completely sure what your options are. The Koni Yellow's would probably work. They'll mostly likely be stiffer than the Cup Kit struts. If you went that route you'd probably want to get Koni rear shocks to balance things out. While you can adjust them it's more like "stiff" to "really stiff" than "soft" to "stiff". I'm not sure if the SPAX (adjustable or non-adjustable) would be suitable for the Cup Kit drop. I think they're a bit softer and probably cheaper. Again, I'd suggest you switch to them all around.

The H&R strut seems to be the most cost effective option, though.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I can't very well claim warranty on something that has nothing to do with a factory defect. The bottom of the strut is actually kinked in, and that would be hard to explain to H&R as it being their fault.

The smart thing would have been to call my insurance, but I have to reasons why I didn't. 1) I figured this would be a simple "replace a bent wheel" type thing, and 2) I am running on the shady side side of things, as far as my insurance is concerned(They think I am in Texas, when I am actually in SoCal).

So far this has cost me $400 for a set of 16" SVT Countor wheels(In very good shape with good rubber. And I didn't feel like replacing just one 17" because I don't want a brand new wheel, and 3 beat up ones), $150 for the knuckle(The bearing on the inside blew out a piece of the casting when I hit the board), and the tie rods will be about $30 each(Both on the LH side got bent to hell), plus the labor to do all this, and the alignment.

Lesson to be learned, don't hit lumber at 90mph!!! Not that I really had a choice, because between me, the concrete barrier, the car next to me, and the board suddenly appearing out from under the truck in front of me, I didn't have much choice on what I could have done differently.

·
Registered
723 Posts
al, you have a pm

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David, you have teh reply!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts