Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is looking for a new car.

Right now she drives a 2001 Lexus RX300 and she is looking for a change.

While the RX is a very nice vehicle, my mom is the type of person that could drive a plane jane corolla and be perfectly happy as long as it got her from point A to point B. I guess my dad wanted her to get the RX in the first place though and she happily obliged.

Anyways, she has always driven smaller cars (84' Accord, 94 Accord) and she wants to be done with an SUV and get into something smaller. And she wants to sell/trade in her RX and get something new and basically come out even or (+/- $1000-$2000.)

So here is her criteria...
$25,000-$30,000 (she said nothing above $30,000)
Fun to drive and "cool looking"
relatively small
2 or 4 door
AWD would be a plus
manual tranny option is a plus
HID lights a plus (she has glasses for night driving and the HIDs in her RX have helped her tremendously she says)

No real brand loyalty so pretty much anything goes.

So far I have suggested...

Mazda 3/ Volvo S40 (she loves to drive my car so i told her these would be like my car only better and nicer inside
)
Mazda 6
Honda Accord (she has owned two in the past...)
TSX
A3
Legacy GT
Mini

She kind of wants to go "back to basics" and loose the typical "Lexus Driver" image she gets from others every now and then because trust me, my mom is not your typical yuppie Lexus driver
So something cool and somewhat sophisticated yet not "look at me, look at me!"

Have at it FJ

·
Registered
275 Posts
05 Subaru Legacy GT

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually mentioned that too, forgot to put it in the list.

Keep in mind though, my mom is not looking for something with the most power or the fastest or anything.

So no EVO's or STi's or RX-8's or GTO's, etc.

Although....hmmm....

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
05 wrx non sti.
nissan 350 z lots of power but good choice even for a mom

EVO would be a good choice for your mom prolly awd, FUN, well made, under 30 k you can't go wrong

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep in mind she wants to kind of loose the "image" a luxury brand. AKA, no BWW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

I know I have Audi, Acura and Volvo up there, but those were just my suggestions to her. And IMO they really don’t give the “ohh look at me” image she is trying to get away from.

You get the point

I'm kinda looking for more input on the cars already listed really...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from looking at cars.

We looked at the Mazda 6, Accord, Legacy GT, S40, and the Sonata.

Mazda 6 - She liked the looks a lot. She has never driven one, but both my dad and me have. It's a contender.

Accord - Nice all around car. Certainly a contender

Legacy GT - She said it was "ok" it but it's too expensive. Out of the race.

S40 - Her favorite car out of all of them. She said if it drives anything like the way it looks it would be the "one".

Sonata - She liked it a lot. Very nice inside and the best deal of the bunch. It's still a contender.

So her list goes:
1.)S40
2.)Accord
3.)Mazda 6
4.)Sonata

Mine goes:
1.)S40
2.)Mazda 6
3.)Accord
4.)Sonata

Dads goes:
1.)Accord
2.)Mazda 6
3.)Sonata
4.)S40

Anyone driven an S40? Know anything about them? I know it rides on the C1 platform but that's about it.

The Volvo dealer has "Ask about "employee pricing" on all Volvos!" on all the windshields. I'm gonna go check them out tomorrow.

I'd hit it...

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I would say:
1.Volvo S40
2.Hyundai 2006 Sonata as Car and Driver just did a road test of it and they were very surprised and pleased with the overall performance(V6 LX model),roomy,price and can't beat the warranty on it.
3.Mazda6
4.Accord

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A3 is still possible.

The nearest Audi dealer is 20 miles away and tomorrow night we might go down and see what they got.

After talking a little more it seems like the S40 might be a bit on the small side for her.

She is looking more at the Mazda 6 (hatchback) and possibly more at the Sonata (a damn nice car for a damn good price)

I'm going to the Volvo, Mazda, and Hyundai dealers to harass them and get some brochures and maybe some test-drives or at least sit in them to get a feel for the interiors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts