Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my FC UDP set today and I went to go install it, but there's no instructions of any kind and finding them is pretty much impossible at the moment. Anyway, I got underneath the car and removed the shield that covers the pulley system. I looked over the diagrams for it but I cant get to the tensioner to loosen it because part of the frame is in the way. Is there some kind of trick to this ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My bad, it's not the tensioner I cant get to. Anyway, I loosened the bolts for the water pump pulley and the crank pulley but now I cant loosen the belt enough to get it over the crank pulley. I found the tensioner but when i turn it to loosen it, it doesnt do anything but spin this little disk thats on the outside of the pulley. Someone help please ?!

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
I'm still waiting on mine, so I haven't done it on the PZEV yet.

Stealing a page from biker's Workshop manual:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>Item Part Number Description
1 6C348 Drive belt pulley idler (without A/C)
2 8620 Accessory drive belt (without A/C)
3 19D629 A/C compressor
4 8620 Accessory drive belt (with A/C)
5 6316 Crankshaft damper
6 6C315 Crankshaft position sensor
7 6A340 Crankshaft pulley bolt
8 10300 Generator
9 3A674 Power steering pump
10 8501 Coolant pump
11 19A216 Drive belt pulley idler (with A/C)
12 6B209 Drive belt tensioner
13 6019 Engine front cover
</pre><hr />

I want to make sure its part #12 that you are playing with. And putting a wrench on it and turning clockwise, I'm guessing, isn't doing anything? strange...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh crap, I was turning #3. I didnt see #12 but I probably wasn't looking close enough. I'll have to try it again later when I get out of work tonight.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I just took off the pulley and the belt with it. That was the easiest way I found. Then retension the belt later...not really that hard, just like putting an Accesory belt on any car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I'm having the worst friggen luck with this thing. Now I can't seem to get the crank pulley bolt to break loose. I'm using my impact wrench and all its doing is turning the whole pulley with it. I tried gettin it off for 3 hours straight and still nothing. You are supposed to turn it counter-clockwise correct ?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
this is a trick from the zetec and SPI. are the pulleys on the passenger side of the car? if so, set your socket wrench to loosen and place it on the bolt. check to see that if the wrench goes up, it will hit the frame or suspension. if it does then good. disconnect the coil pack and pull the fuse for the pump. crank the starter for a second. the wrench will hit the frame and the bolt will loosen itself.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
if y'all are the same too, if you don't have a sturdy enough ratchet (i didn't), your tire wrench is the proper size as well
Buy a "gorilla wrench" i use it to take my wheels off. Really makes life a lot easier...plus it works for doing the UDP trick.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright guys, I have everything bolted up and now it seems that my belt is way to fricken long. I thought with the FC pulleys you reused the stock belt ? The last thing that I wanna do right now is take apart this whole thing again just because of a belt. It's almost 3 in the morning so no parts stores are open either. What the hell is going on ?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Alright guys, I have everything bolted up and now it seems that my belt is way to fricken long. I thought with the FC pulleys you reused the stock belt ? The last thing that I wanna do right now is take apart this whole thing again just because of a belt. It's almost 3 in the morning so no parts stores are open either. What the hell is going on ?
that was true of the zetec kit (re-using stock belt) but I have they said that or specify that for this kit?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, now here's the problem. I didnt have the belt routed the right way. Once I got that fixed I went to go start my car, now it just wont start. I'ts trying to turn it over but the engine just doesnt fire. Almost as if the belt is slipping or something. I made sure that everything was sitting correctly on the pulleys.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nevermind, I got it running. Kind of by luck too. I was getting irritated because it wouldnt start so I said **** it, I'm going back to stock. Not really thinking, I go and take of the crank pulley. Then from there I go and try to take off my water pump pulley. Well, that wasnt going to happen, the thing kept spinning. So I went and put the FC pulley back on, and got the belt all set. As I was about to start loosening the bolts for the water pump pulley something inside me told me try to and start it one more time. Voila !! It fired right up. Not a single sputter. It came right to life and I almost cried for joy. Remember, this car is only 2 months old. So I let it sit for a second and listened for any problems. It ran smooth as ever so I took it out for a quick test drive down the road. Oh.. my.. god... What a fricken difference it makes. Throttle response has improved tremendously over stock. And acceleration feels solid through the whole powerband. It used to struggle a bit from 3rd gear if i punched it while around 2K RPM's but now it pops right to life and moves quickly through the tac. All in all, great product. I am very pleased.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
so why didnt it start? did you knock the EPS out of place?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it had something to do with when I tightened the crank bolt. I may have over tightened it or something because as i was tightening it the pulley start moving with it so I stopped. As soon as I stopped, I heard this ticking noise as if the engine was trying to turn over or something. So before I put the belt back on, I spun the pulley backwards and it clicked a few times. I'm thinking that was the cure. I have no idea what that did though. Either way, it worked and I'm happier then a pig in [censored].

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
pulley moving with the wrench is normal. youre turning the crank and moving the pistons. weird. I have no idea why it wouldnt start right away. starter off track maybe?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts