Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neigbor works in a body shop, and got me paint but all he does is paperwork, I have 4 types here, clear, basemaker, black and another can marked v7585. Do I gotta mix them before I paint my trunk? or do I spray the basemaker down, do a few coates of that, then black, then clear, but I got no clue what the v7585 is.

And of course sanding in between.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well it sounds like you have dupont stuff...And honestly I am not sure if you are going to want to tackle this alone...Yes the paint has to be mixed, but it needs some type of reducer. Problem is you have to mix it with the same brand of reducer as the same brand of paint...Have you ever sprayed auto paint before? What type of gun do you have? How much compression are you running at the guns regulator? How much prep time have you done? Body guys don't get paid a lot because the process is just as east as spraying on paint....Answer these questions and I may be able to help you out a little more...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got close to 10 hrs prep time on my trunk, it's in a dust free environment (courtesy of plasic, a big fan, and some rather largeair filters) Never sprayed auto paint b4, I'm using my air brush (call me mr ghetto)I was spraying with 65 psi.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well I've never used an airbrush before, but an HVLP gun is way different...I guess you are kinda on your own here, read the instructions on the paint can, it should tell you what to mix it with in order to thin it out properly...good luck.

Lox

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cans have no instructions, I started to paint after taking a guess at the mix, so far the black is coming out decent, working on my 3rd coat in a few minutes.

Word to everyone else in the world, dont use an airbrush to paint car parts, it's time consuming.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Unfortunately, you are not going to know until awhile after you put the last coat on if it worked or not... It is quite possible that without the correct mix, you may end up with bubbles developing, paint not adhering to the primer, or any of MANY other problems...
Your bud really should have hooked you up with a little more help...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it's a spare trunk so I can afford to re do it a few times before I put it on the car, I also took the plunge and invested in a better spray gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts