Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soooooo, well changing my oil today i notices this, drive-shaft thing that goes from the tranny to the passanger side axle i think. the barings(?) or something was coming off like there was a boot or cover missing. can someone fill me in please?????

i dont know how to resize

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Re: need help.......what is this?

Intermediate shaft bearing. theres a TSB for that.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Also, if you're a DIY type of guy, you can replace the entire axle/bearing assembly for relatively cheap.

My car ate three of those bearings.

Any idea what the TSB addresses specifically? Is it a bad bearing design, or is there an alignment issue that causes it to eat bearings?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

whats a tsb and what all do i need to get this fixed/replaced.... is the car ok drive?
thanks

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Technical Service Bulletin.

This means that it is a problem that occurs often enough that Ford has released information to the dealership network on how to best resolve the problem.

... TSB's have a number assigned, so if can obtain the right document it'll have the fix.

As for safe to drive? It appears that the bearings themselves are still in place, but totally exposed to the elements. I doubt they have long to live like that. All of my bearings made noise before failure, but I was able to drive until I had time to get to the dealership... but none of mine had the assembly fall apart like yours have.

A catastrophic failure of this location could damage the transaxle or the back of the block, so I wouldn't push my luck TOO much.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks

·
Registered
11,255 Posts

I think it's TSB 03-15-1 that addresses it.

Mine never got to that point...but then again, I had mine replaced twice. I'm still clear sailing *knock on wood*.

If you're still under basic warranty, you will be covered. If not, expect to pay about $400 CDN or $320 USD for the repair at a dealership (parts, labour, and 15% taxes).

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

ohh i dont let anyone else work on my car......i'll just go collect the parts....i'm about to sell it to. damn thing!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

my local dealer said thay only sell the entire assembly for like 150$. does anyone have a part number or something for just the baring

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

bump

·
Registered
11,255 Posts

ohh i dont let anyone else work on my car......i'll just go collect the parts....i'm about to sell it to. damn thing!
It's quite a task if you're doing the repair yourself. You're basically going to have to raise the car and start taking out that portion of the halfshaft.

Some folks have even pressed out the bearing and repaired it that way. I think the new halfshaft accounts for this problem.

I dug out my 2003 service records. This is for the entire halfshaft:

TX*381* JOINT AND STUB SHAFT List $256.87 CDN

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

you're better off getting a whole new halfshaft. they're about 70 bucks at autozone. to replace just the bearing you'd need a good press.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i got me a new bearing, now what? i know i need to get it out and have them pressed but i'm not shure how to get the pooper out. i know theres the bracket around the bearing that can come off but then do i have to unhook the axle at the wheel and pull till the intermedeat shaft comes out to. and how would i unhook the axle? any help will do.
thanks

also, if someone has a link to an online manuale that would be sweet, i'm to broke to buy one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts