Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got myself a 2002 ZX5 and I finished with all the interior/exterior mods. Now I really need help on where to start to improve performances. I want to be fast !!!!!

Thanks!!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
how fast do you want to go?
i was watching ESPN2 today and they had the top fuelers on there, 1/4 mile in 5.335 seconds and 260+ mph......

i dont think you want that fast

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If you really want to be fast you should give serious thought to a turbo before buying anything.

What you don't want to do is blow alot of money on bolt ons that are unnecesary or unsuitable for use with a turbo, and then decide down the road that that is the route you want to go. Don't ask me how I know. Well OK. Examples: short ram intake, superchip, smaller than optimum exhaust, etc. Read up on these boards, give it alot of thought, and develop a plan BEFORE you start. It could save you lots of $ down the road.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]</p>

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the best thing I could do is start by installing a turbo and after that, do the small things like pullies or intake ?? BTW, it's a standard transmission and my goal is 1/4 mile in the mid 14's.

Thanks for your comments so far

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Fast? Start with building the internals and then get TURBO!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I disagree...i think a n/a setup is better in many aspects. Turbos give you power on a dyno, but i've seen in more than enough times on the drag strip where they let you down. I'd say if your goal is 14's, to do an n/a build. Start with i/h/e get that zetec breathing right. Then go for cam gears and a crank pulley. That should net you a low 15 high 14 right there. Then you can start to look at cams / head packages that will take another second off. I think a high 13 is entirely feasible out of n/a for this car with decent tires. As far as wheels go something i'm doing is going down to the 14 inch steelies and nitto 555r drag radials. Those will really help out your 60 foot times and can net you some good times. I kinda through the plans for my car at you there, but i think its a good setup. I'm also planning the full eibach suspension kit in there too to help out handling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts