Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I removed the EGR a few days ago, i did the penny thing, and i got a CEL... found out that i got the CEL from the nut w/ the pennies coming loose... so I tightened it down, reset the ECU and it was fine... it came loose again and threw another CEL... then i took it off and loaded it w/ super high-temp black silicone, tightened it on real good and let it set overnight

drove about 125 miles w/ no CEL but it did start to loosen again... so i caught it before it threw the CEL. put on a bunch of Blue lock-tite and all was well all day at the drag strip...

until the lock-tite cooked off. the nut came loose yet again and threw a cel after 131.5 miles.

could someone please give me some advice on how to keep this darn nut tight so this CEL will go away???!!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks erik... i'll go grab a bolt tomorrow after work

im assuming you mean 22mm diameter x 1.5" length? what thread? 1.00, 1.25, or 1.50

or is the 1.5 the thread pattern and i should get like a .5" length?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Kevin, any gains???

·
Registered
149 Posts
what is the purpose of blocking of the EGR valve ?? What benefit does this have ?? And "the Penny thing" what is that all about ? If U could refer me to the original post I would appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well... i searched all day today and not one hardware store had a 22mm bolt

im gonna load it up w/ gasket maker tonight and see if it works.

Mike: it doesnt really give you gains, but the car runs noticably smoother all around

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I'm s doing this as soon as I get my inspection done

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool guys, i'll look tomorrow... I tried several hardware stores including a couple locations of Ace Hardware w/ no luck... i'll try the oil drain plug thing tomorrow

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'll try some auto parts stores around work and maybe the mercades dealership later this week if it comes to that

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Originally posted by furiousfocuz2G:
what is the purpose of blocking of the EGR valve ?? What benefit does this have ?? And "the Penny thing" what is that all about ? If U could refer me to the original post I would appreciate it :)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">blocking it doesn't too much. they r designed to lower burning temperatures of gases that r pulled into the combustion chamber to lower emissions of NOx...being that we have a 3-wat cat that will take care of that enough to pass emissions with no problem, theres more things that can happen fro blocking it from actually what u get back...wow a little stumble gone, its just basically another thing to do to the car. basically what your doing is just blocking gasses from the header to the manifold..also really only during full throttle there should be no egr...which the system does when its installed.
the egr is also able to increase spark advance (ignition timing added)...so instead of getting engine knock (maybe), lower fuel econmy, and even sometimes a loss in performance...i see no reason to delete it.

ps: sorry i didn't look for any posts to post here.

[ 02-24-2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: KicknZX3 ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts