Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a used ac3 kit, but the guy im gonna buy it from doesnt have the bov with it. so i called aerocharger a few times and no response. I can get an adapter piece for a different bov, so i was wondering which one to go with.
I heard the kit works great without it, I just want it primarily for sound. yes i searched but I didnt find anything in specific. I think I heard a while back that the bov messes with the air/fuel ratio, is this true? The kit will be tuned by lidio, so will I have to take it back to him to get it retuned if i put it on later down the road?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
A bov that vents to the atmoshphere, such as the case with the AC3 kit, will effect the AFR. When metered air leaves the system without going through the engine first, there will be a rich condition.

I don't think you will notice any negative side effects during the short period of time when this happens - after shifting, etc. I didn't.

However, if the bov vents during a low vacum to high vacum condition, or worse, under medium vacum to high vacum conitions, you will probably experience bucking after low load shifts, and poor idle and/or possible stalling after decel such as when coming to a stop.

An easy way to check for this is rev the engine with one or both hands over the vent ports of the bov. As the engine decels (going to a high vacum condition), if you feel air escaping, you probably will have to make some adjustments and/or change the spring to prevent drivability problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok that makes sense. I cant find aerochargers bov for the ac3 kit, so i was gonna get that adapter made and use an aftermarket one. Does it really matter which one i use? Or should I keep trying to get that one?

·
Registered
515 Posts
i have an HKS SSQ BOV ... sounds neat (when the car is running) it doesnt matter which one you have... just need an adapter...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts