Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm doing the infamous LED swap on my door switches, and it's not going so well. I thought I was pretty savy at that sort of thing, but I guess I was wrong. I finally got the passenger side window switch to light up, But now I can't roll my Window up or down!!! Anyone have suggestions? It's dark outside right now, so I havn't checked any fuses. But if it blew a fuse, wouldn't the LED not work also? I can't get the driver's side window switches to work at all....no lights, no window functionality. I know there's a few of you that have done this mod, so please lend me your wisdom! Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
~Bump~
Does anyone here know about soldering and circuits? Preferably someone that's already swapped out their LEDs. I thought it was going to be easy (remove LED and add new LED - solder in place), but it seems nothing has gone right so far. I am aware that there are positive and negative ends on that LED, and like I said, I got one of them to light up, but now my windows don't work! Sheesh...I'm just glad I didn't start with my headlights switch....

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
make sure you didnt loose the two copper contacts from the window switch, we took my buddies switch appart the other day, and we almsot lost those pieces on my driveway, theyre very small.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know about the copper plates. I took my swithes inside my house to work on them so I wouldn't loose pieces in my car or the driveway. Ok, here's my update...My progress is slowly getting better. I resoldered my passenger side window switch, and now the window works, but the light doesn't come on any more. I'm at work right now, so I can't work on it again until tonight. I did get my Driver's side power window switches working, but not as I planned. The windows work, and the lights are on....but the lights stay on when the ignition is on. How do I get them to turn on and off when I turn on the light switch? It's frustrating, but at least I'm making some progress. It does look awsome, so I know I'll be happy with the end results. Now, does anyone know the link that has pictures on how to wire up the lights on the power lock switches? I searched and couldn't find it. Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Swith the ends of the leds around they don't work if they are in the wrong way. They are a diode the electrical flow only goes one way.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got my lights working, and my windows function also. My main problem now is that the lights turn on when I start up the car. I can't get them to just turn on when I turn the parking lights on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
e-rock, you may have patched into the wrong wire, try testing the power window switches with a volt-meter and find out which wire gets current only when the park lights are on, and tap into that one instead.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, I haven't even touched the wires yet. All I've done so far is replace the LEDs in the window switches. I'm by no means an electrical guru, so I was hoping someone here might know a thing about electronics. What is it in the stock configuration that tells the LEDs to turn on and off? Does the resistor have anything to do with that? Seriously, all I did was remove the stock LED and place a new one in it's place. What else could cause it to stay on like this?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know alot about electronics but I don't have power anything. so I don't really know what your talking about. If all you did was replace leds then they should work unless you wired the led in backwards in which case they would not turn on. Maybe you damaged somthing while you were taking apart the door?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If all you did was replace leds then they should work unless you wired the led in backwards in which case they would not turn on. Maybe you damaged somthing while you were taking apart the door?
That's just it, They DO work! The lights come on, and the switches work fine..... BUT the lights stay on, even when the headlights/parking lights are off. I wanted to have them work like the stock LEDs work (they only turn on when you engage the headlight switch). Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Yor switches LED come on with the ignition, not the headlight switch. So if thats the problem..it's really not!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yor switches LED come on with the ignition, not the headlight switch. So if thats the problem..it's really not!
You're right, it's not really a "problem". I guess I'm just being picky. I will probably feel more comfortable with it once I have all of the LEDs replaced, to see if they all come on with the ignition also. I think I would rather have them all come on with the ignition, instead of just a couple here and there. Has anyone else done this mod yet? If so, does yours do this too? Does it matter what type of LED I used? I got these off of eLED.com, and they are <font color="blue">Bright</font>! Maybe they require more power than the stockers - causing it to bypass whatever it is on the circuit board that turns it on and off with the headlight switch. I dunno...
Thanks again for all the input guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts