Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my 2001 focus with a Zetec/MTX75 is not feeling well...Let me list my issues...I need help determining what is wrong.

When making right hand-[censored] turns (not really a turn just heading to the right when on the gas hard like entering a freeway entrance ramp) the car will die off at about 4K then it will pick up again, it's like the engine just kind of starts to shut down for a second. It has a brand new fuel filter on it. Fuel pump?

The check engine light is on. Autozone in Cali. will no longer scan codes for free. The car runs rough at part throttle running at around town speeds (basically like 30 and under) at freeway speeds it doesnt run rough. If I push the clutch in, the car runs smooth (or not quite as rough anyway) It feels like it is almost stalling, like when you run at too low of an RPM for the gear, but that is definantly not what's making the car run like this. As I said, it doesnt do the rough running at high speed (or is not noticable if it does) and it runs smooth when the clutch is pushed in, and it runs fairly smooth when sitting stopped.

Sometimes it doesnt want to start in the morning, or it will die right after it is started and I have to re-start it.

Lately the exhaust seems to be more liquid-[censored] and smells more of gas then normal.

When I turn the wheel while moving slowly (like driving through a parking lot or backing out of the driveway for example) I hear a popping noise from the front end. Yesterday, I turned the wheel to back out at an angle and felt quite a bit of resistance. NO, there was nothing in the way preventing the wheels from turning. Also I can feel my clutch starting to slip.

Thanks,

Earl

·
Registered
968 Posts
WOW, thats a lot of lil issues bro.
ummm...ont the chugging/cutting out, sounds like a wire harness loose, a vaccum line loose, etc...check all your connections. Have you changed the plugs lately? Coil pack good?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I do intend on changing the plugs/wires possibly the coil soon. Wnat type of plugs should I use? What type of wires? If I change the coil what type of coil should I use? My goal is to reduce the cranking time by as much as possible, I'd like to be able to just turn the key and have it fire right up...I think I might also put a better battery in, maybe a red top or something? What should the gap be on the plugs? How do I gap them?

thanks

EArl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts