Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed a new FK hitec lowering Kit on my SVT and I thought I would be safe with the conservative drop of 35mm or when adjusted for the SVT’s drop it should only drop the svt around ½”-3/4”. Well as it turns out it dropped my car around 1” on the front and now I am getting some slight rubbing on hard right and left turns taken at speed on the front upper fender liner.

So I am now trying to look for some springs that would work on my svt with out having any rubbing…So if you guys have lowered your svt and are NOT getting any rubbing can you please tell me what springs you are running and how much of a drop you have seen from the stock SVT ride height front and back.

FK 35-40mm hitec kit..Drop from stock SVT Ride Height
Front drop--------Rear drop--------Rubbing Y/N
1”” -----------------1/2” ----------------Yes on front.
comment: Great Ride comfort and better handling then SVT stock. To much drop on the front.

Oh if you got pics please post them. Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have progress tech springs and it drops it about .75 to 1" max. With stock rims/tires I had no rub. With the same size rim/tire but 40mm offset it barely rubbed. Only on dips in the road.

others have put on the intrax springs. hopefully someone will chime in on them for specs.

I just sold those and putting on new rims and tires 18x7, 45mm offset, 215/35/18. Should have them on thursday. I don't expect any rub at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the H&R race springs and there is no rubbing, the drop for me is perfect, there´s only like .4 inch gap front and rear. The ride is very bumpy in the city, but there´s almost no body roll and it handles better than before, I like the look and the improvement in handling.
I have some pictures if you want send me a PM with your email and I will send you the pictures.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have the intrax springs and have never had rubbing, i dont really remember how much they were supposed to lower it, and i never measured. I think its like around 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear is what people say theirs dropped. I think they lowered it to just the right height, not too low, not too high.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Here is my car with the Eibach Pro Kit. an oveerall drop of 1.3-1.5" stettles around 2" from the stock hieght of a normal ZX3.
Great ride and improved handling. I purchased the kit which gives you the springs and dampers. I STRONGLY sugguest this kit with springs and dampers. Doing springs alone will force you to get dampers probably when you least expect it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I put a set of the H&R race springs in too. car dropped closed to 2 inches. handling improved allot but rides horible over bumps. bottoms out allot. I had no rub with the stock rims but after i got diff wheels the rear will rub the plastic in the fender. if i put a camber kit in the wheels will prob hit the fender. thinking about takin them out.car looks awesome tho. will post some pics when i take them this weekend.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for posting what has worked for you.

I have been analysing the drop I have and my stock ride height and a regular focus stock ride height and this is what I have found. These measurements are from the center of the wheel to the top of fender arch so it removes the wheel size as a variable.

stock focus
front 14 3/4"
rear 15"

svt stock
front 14"
rear 14 1/2"

fk kit

front 13"
rear 14"

So the stock svt is only 3/4" lower front and 1/2" lower rear from a stock regular focus.

The fk kit which is suppose to be a 35 mm drop front and a 40mm drop rear turns out to be about 45mm drop front and 25mm drop rear.
These numbers are based off a regular focus drop not an svt drop. Take off 19mm front and 12.5mm rear to get the svt drops.

I am very disapointed with the spring drop of this kit. The fronts are dropped more than advertised and rears drop less than advertised. It is very similar to the problem the intrax people were having when they sent out the wrong back springs. It gives the car an ass in the air look which I do not like.

Any ways I have decided to replace the springs with a set of apex springs. I will document the entire exchange with pics so that everone can see what the two springs are like. I will be re-using the fk shocks and struts as they seem to be very good and have a life time warranty. Once I remove the springs I will be going over to fk and checking with them to see if the springs were defective. For their sake I hope they are because if this is the crap they are trying to sell then they should at least change what they say their drops are going to be.

The other things I have discovered, that may help out other people is that the perch height for the stock svt struts seems to be about 1/4" lower than the perch height on my fk struts. I have no stock regular focus struts to compare them to but it could be why when you install the svt struts and springs you get a little more drop than if you replace your stock reg focus springs with just the svt springs.

Oh and the svt alignment is actually in degrees decimal not fractions of an inch. So you guys who are putting your front toe at 1/8" out, you are way off base. It should be more like 1/24" total toe out. Here are the specs just look at the st170 specs they are the same as the US svt.

First, caster & camber2 sets of numbers (decimal degrees then degrees & minutes), and each set of numbers consists of a nominal value then a tolerance. (format nominal/(tolerance range))

Front axle caster

All except wagon - +2.98/(4.08 to 1.88 ) 2 59'/(4 05' to 1 53')
Wagon (normal) - +2.86/(3.89 to 1.83) 2 52'/(3 53' to 1 50')
Wagon(business) - +2.33/(3.33to 1.33) 2 22'/(3 20' to 1 20')

Max diff left/right 1.00 or 1 00'

Front axle camber

All except wagon - -0.54/(0.77 to -1.85) -0 32'/(0 46' to -1 51')
Wagon (normal) - -0.61/(0.67 to -1.89) -0 37'/(0 40' to -1 53')
Wagon(business) - -0.63/(0.62 to -1.88 ) -0 38'/(0 38' to -1 53')

Max diff left/right 1.25 or 1 15'

Rear axle camber

All except wagon - -0.96/(0.38 to -2.30) -0 58'/(0 23' to -2 18')
Wagon (normal) - -0.91/(0.37 to -2.19) -0 55'/(0 22' to -2 11')
Wagon(business) - -0.50/(0.75 to -1.75) -0 30'/(0 45' to -1 45')

Max diff left/right 1.25 or 1 15'

Toe settings are laid out as (tolerance)/(Setting (if required)).
The tolerance values are those permitted when checking the suspension

In case it doesn't come out ± = +/-

Front geometry total toe (all variants except ST170 & RS)

Decimal degrees - (0.20 ± 0.25) / (0.20 ± 0.15)
Degrees & minutes - (0 12' ± 0 15') / (0 12' ± 0 09')
mm - (1.2mm ± 1.6mm) / (1.2mm ± 0.9mm)

Rear geometry total toe (all variants except ST170 & RS)

Decimal degrees - (0.63 ± 0.13) / (0.38 ± 0.15)
Degrees & minutes - (0 38' ± 0 08') / (0 23' ± 0 09')
mm - (3.9mm ± 0.8mm) / (2.4mm ± 0.9mm)

Front geometry total toe (ST170)

Decimal degrees - (-0.15 ± 0.25) / (-0.15 ± 0.15)
Degrees & minutes - (0 09' ± 0 15') / (0 09' ± 0 09')
mm - (-1.1mm ± 1.9mm) / (-1.1mm ± 1.1mm)

Rear geometry total toe (ST170)

Decimal degrees - (0.55 ± 0.05) / (0.30 ± 0.15)
Degrees & minutes - (0 33' ± 0 03') / (0 18' ± 0 09')
mm - (4.2mm ± 0.4mm) / (2.3mm ± 1.1mm)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I know this sounds stupid and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but is it possible that you put the springs on wrong. Like you might have put the fronts on the the rears
Well not easily possible , hehe, no its not. But depending on the springs in question, it is possible to put them on upside down, which can affect the performance of the spring itself (in other words, not work properly).

·
Registered
510 Posts
fronts are huge and the rears are small. its pretty hard to mess that up.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know this sounds stupid and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but is it possible that you put the springs on wrong. Like you might have put the fronts on the the rears

1 - 10 of 10 Posts