Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing the following to my '01 ZX3:

AEM cai
FC throttle body
FC race header w/ flex pipe
FC Magnaflow cat-back

Anybody have any info/advice on this setup? I am looking for good solid performance, but not all the ricey sound... Let me know what you think. Also, any advice on what would be a better setup as far as one of these parts is concerned would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i believe magnaflow and focus central ar different. i'm not sure because i dont have an aftermarket exhaust, but i am pretty sure. but it does seem like a lot of people on the jet have the magnaflow

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I would be leary of the AEM CAI. I have never seen one in person so I can't comment, but if the engineering is half as crappy as their short ram I would pass on it.

I would seriously consider the SVT airbox and snorkel. Fits right, works right, OEM quality weather proofing, passes plenty of air, it is light, and you don't look like some school boy with an engine bay full of gee-gaws if someone sees under your hood. Oh yeah, and it is cheaper.

Edit: If you don't mind using premium fuel a chip would certainly round out your list nicely.

[ 11-16-2002, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
401 Posts
I suggest passing on the em cai and get the volant. It is cheaper and it works alot better. no need to worry anut rain and such. You can also modify it to get true cai if you want its really cheap.

·
Registered
662 Posts
clemsonzx3,
All good choices. Are there other choices, you bet, as the other guys have noted. Just depends on your budget. Will there be a drastic difference in horsepower from say the AEM, to the Volant, or a short ram, not likely, maybe 1-2 horsepower. So you have to decide if the difference in price makes it worth it. Personally I like the MAC short ram, low cost and a good performer. I've had the Iceman, MAC short ram, and the AEM on my car. For daily driving I leave the AEM on, when I go racing at the 1/4 track, the MAC goes back on. The MAC would stay on, but my wife thinks it's too loud.

The throttle body, in and of itself is small power adder, both Sport Compact magazine and Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords have done Focus project cars over the last year and have shown the throttle body, again, by itself... to be worth 1-3 HP across the powerband.

Personally, and I sell these for a living, I would hold off on the throttle body until your engine is capable of using the additional air it gives you, or at least until you can afford a set of adjustable cam gears and a visit to a tuning shop with a dyno to tune them.

Race header, flexpipe and Magnaflow or any other the other 2.25" kits will work nicely. Don't expect it to be quiet though

Be sure to check the Sponsor Deals message board here on FocalJet for some good sales going on this time of year

1 - 6 of 6 Posts