Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am (and unfortunately will be for quite some time) running stock 15" wheels. My stock tires are getting fairly old at this point, and I am hoping to get new tires that have quite a bit more rubber under them than the RSA's they come with. I am also looking for something a bit higher rated...something that will be safe up to, say, 108mph...

I am a complete tire noob, and am hoping for some recomendations for a set. Any information or a point in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
If you're looking for all-seasons, I haven't heard anything recommended more than the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. They're very sticky, good in all weather, and last for a while. Of course, if you're in California the all-season part won't be important unless you're going to drive to places where it snows.

P.S.: 15"s aren't all bad. The tires are a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Like pitchblack said it won't matter that much about all season tires. I have the same tires you have the RSAs. Not what you call the best handling tire. I changed to a 7x16 wheel with 205/50 tires.I selected the Avon MTech 500 ultra performance.$88.00. I am very satisfied at how quiet they are,handle really well in an autox and great in the wet. Tire rack rates them #1 in ultra performance tires survey.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Are you looking for 195/60R15 or 205/55R15?
If you're unsure, 195/60 will give SLIGHTLY better gas mileage, but less footprint and response.
205/55 will give BARELY less mpg, but will corner better.
The first number is the width in mm, the second number is an aspect ratio of the first number and it gives an idea as to how tall the tire is from the rim to the tread. (Sidewall height)

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you looking for 195/60R15 or 205/55R15?
If you're unsure, 195/60 will give SLIGHTLY better gas mileage, but less footprint and response.
205/55 will give BARELY less mpg, but will corner better.
The first number is the width in mm, the second number is an aspect ratio of the first number and it gives an idea as to how tall the tire is from the rim to the tread. (Sidewall height)
I am thinking of the 205, as I was as much footprint as possible. I know I can feasibly go to 215, but I know tire roll could be a problem if I was going for a taller sidewall..I don't want lo-pros on the 15's. It seems that 205 would be my best option. Thanks for the reccomendations!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would suggest you select from the following list of tires. I have listed several options in various performance categories for your consideration and review. This will allow you several choices to match your driving style, expected life, and budget needs:

Performance All-Season Tires "T" Speed Rated
205/55R15 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Performance All-Season Tires "H" Speed Rated
205/55R15 Bridgestone Potenza G009
205/55R15 Goodyear Eagle GT-HR

Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires "V" Speed Rated
205/55R15 Continental Extreme Contact
205/55R15 Kumho Ecsta ASX
205/55R15 Michelin Pilot XGT V4
205/55R15 Yokohama Avid V4S

For more information including pricing, Tire Rack test results and customer surveys and comments, please visit our site at: http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=DG2&url=/tires/index.jsp or for personal service, feel free to give me a call. If ordering on line, feel free to enter my name in the "Previous Contact" area near the end of the order and I will be glad to keep an eye on it for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts