Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through the posts, however, it seems that when most folks replace their struts they upgrade the springs as well and drop it a bit. Every site that I've visited, including many of the sponsors, only offer performance struts. I just want to replace the stock only-lasted-45,000-miles-POS's that are on the car now.
I don't auto-x or have upgraded rims so I don't need adjustables. All I'm looking for are quality replacement struts that will give me a ride equal to or slightly better than the stock set up. Oh, and I don't want to lower my car since it's my EDD. I just don't want to deal with the hassle and worry that goes along with a drop. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
off the top of my head i would say the KYB GR-2. i think those are stock replacement. but they are an upgrade.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
In your case you could look into buying stock shocks and struts. However I am sure ford will charge a small penny for them. I would just go with some KYB's they offer a nice ride and they will last for awhile.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would suggest KYB's as well but not the GR-2's as they are basically rebadged Monroe's for all practical purposes. I have had the Gr-2's on a previous car and you will be replacing them more than likely sooner than the originals. I know you said you don't need adjustables but you can get KYB AGX's for 70.00 a piece online (300.00 to your door). I have tried several strut/shock/spring combinations with the stock SVT springs and my Intrax and the AGX's gave a great ride with the stock springs. The compression/rebound valving on the AGX's is a good choice for the street.

·
Formerly focus_wrc
7,422 Posts
I would suggest this one i think they are prefect for the price and they should be good match for svt springs

SVT:
F: 129 lb/in
R: 157 lb/in

Eibach Pro:
F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in

for $ 300 i think this is the best u can get.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you don't seem to care get whaevers the cheapest. BTW how long do you think shocks and struts should last?
Actually, I do care Primaris. I just don't need hi-pro components that are made for a lowered suspension. The stock ride is just fine for my needs. Also, struts should last beyond 45,000 IMO. Even on a stock performance suspension, they should go at least 60,000 miles of regular driving. Especially since I'm not hard at the car at all and 80% of my miles are highway.

I looked into those Pro-Dampers, but the write up said you had to use them with the Pro-Damper springs.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably go with the KYB's.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Since you don't seem to care get whaevers the cheapest. BTW how long do you think shocks and struts should last?
Actually, I do care Primaris. I just don't need hi-pro components that are made for a lowered suspension. The stock ride is just fine for my needs. Also, struts should last beyond 45,000 IMO. Even on a stock performance suspension, they should go at least 60,000 miles of regular driving. Especially since I'm not hard at the car at all and 80% of my miles are highway.

I looked into those Pro-Dampers, but the write up said you had to use them with the Pro-Damper springs.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably go with the KYB's.
Ok. i have had good luck with the KYB's, on other cars, also. Another choice may be the GAZ adjustable's from BAT-INC. They maybe close in price.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you like the stock dampers alot do what Ataru said buy the svt suspension i think its like 279 or something thing then just sell the springs on here for like 80 bucks.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
If you like the stock dampers alot do what Ataru said buy the svt suspension i think its like 279 or something thing then just sell the springs on here for like 80 bucks.
That is a really good point. You would really like that setup.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Another option to the Koni's is the AGX brand. Made by KYB, they are fully adjustable, and have the same rebound and dampning rates as the Koni's, but for less than half the price, shipped.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Go with stock SVT springs and shocks..which you should be able to get for around $280...

·
Registered
686 Posts
can the kyb agx be used with stock svtf springs?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've decided to go with Sachs. Thanks everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts