Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for some pics of the random technology catalytic converter on and off of your cars. i have one on it's way, and am curious as to the connection with aftermarket shorty headers. thanks as always!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. thanks man!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

hope those angles give you a good idea.

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Wedge1212 ]</p>

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey wedge1212, pics are much appreciated. i should have it next week. is that silicone rtv sealant or something. just curious as to how you sealed it. also what kind of shorty headers are those. notice a huge gain, or just not as "clogged" as the stock cat. i'm on my second one, and do not want to fry it. i may be selling it here soon. not sure for how much, but i know they cost a fortune at the dealer. thanks for the pics man, they came out great on this end. also what size bolts did you use? thanks

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I cant remember exactly what size bolts i used. I just went to the hardware store w/ the stock bolts and found some that were apx. the same diameter and just a tad bit longer. Yes that is RTV gasket. Use the High heat red stuff. As far as gains go....definately much much smoother. It was a noticable performance improvement. The headers are JBA. The only thing I dont have for a full exhaust setup is a new flex pipe. As far as passing emissions....it should here in texas. all our emissions guys do is hook up to the OBD-II port and pull info from the computer. So, in theory it should pass since i have no CEL....but who knows. If it doesnt I'll just get my car registered in waco where there is no emissions test...just saftey junk. But i wont find out for another year because i just had my car inspected in july.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am installing my Random Tech. Cat this weekend and I know I need new bolts and gasket stuff, but what else do I need as far as special tools, bits etc....Please be specific as to what all is needed to perform the install.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you have the stock flex pipe then order a new gasket from ford along with 2 new bolts if you need new ones. total about $8 and worth it. i installed random tech this past weekend. very nice mod. fixing my cams tomorrow from stock to crower stage 2's. should be nice gain!!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I can't believe that for how much money you pay for the high-flow cat that it doesn't come with any hardware. What kind of crap is that?

·
Registered
227 Posts
That looks totally OEM...well not really but good enough to pass a visual inpection by some bored guy who's getting off work in 45 minutes. I'll be getting this (hey, my cat's a hollow joke, this will be an emissions improvment, just gotta buy a can of "Smog-Pass")

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do I need bolts and gaskets for both ends?
I have limited tools so I need to know what sort of tools to have handy to get this done like the one for the O2 sensor etc...?

Thanks
I'll let you all know what I think about the Random once I get it installed.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
you need three nuts and bolts to connect the header to the cat. You'll need some form a gasket to go between the header and the cat as well. I used high heat RTV and its great. To connnect the cat to the flex pipe all stock hardware should be addiquate, as this is what I use and have had no problems. Let me know if you have more questions.

EDIT

for the O2 sensor i was able to remove the second one with a crecent wrench. the first sensor can be done one of two ways. The first way is going to a parts store and buying a special tool to remove it. The second is is cutting the little protector off of the first harness (green) and then sliding the appropriate sized box wrench down to the bung and removing the sensor (that's what i did). Pretty simple job....no special tools are really required.

[ 09-10-2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Wedge1212 ]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Originally posted by matthew:
you do need an o2 sensor socket to fit over the wires. very helpful tool for $8. some people say don't use it just use a wrench, but i think this is the easiest way. good luck!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why waste $8 when you can get it done for free the way it was described above? $8 is better spent on beer, not on a tool you will most likely never use again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you do need an o2 sensor socket to fit over the wires. very helpful tool for $8. some people say don't use it just use a wrench, but i think this is the easiest way. good luck!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts