Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I know weve got some mathematicians around here and i was wondering if we could put our heads together and finnaly solve this whole flywheel wieght problem.

But first we need some specs anyone have a ton of specs on the stock flywheel to the 9lb fly wheel from fidanza?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
what you want? just the difference in rotational inertia?
From there it's easy to figure out the equivalent diff in static weight.

ALL we really need is hte diameter of the two flywheels and their weights

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what i really wanted to do was see if the benifits of spinning up a heavier flywheel is enough to say its worth it on the shift or if removing lots of wieght from the engine and allowing it to spin up extremely fast (reducing the accelerating mass) was the best plan. Using like how much energy is lost in frictioning the clutch. To see exactly which one through 5 gears will get you farther. It couldnt be too hard.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
it's not, 5.0 or MM&FF did an article just like two months ago on it. They found that the lighter flywheel always won out. THey tested this with several levels of HP and TQ (differnt test cars). Very thorough, an enjoyable read for a physics geek like me. Lighter IS better, definitively proven in this article

1 - 5 of 5 Posts