Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rear disk brakes and I cannot get the piston to go down to change out the pads. Is there something I am missing? What can be done? I have removed the cap to the master cylinder already. I did the fronts in like 45 minutes, but the rears are a pain in the ass!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
you mean you cant get the piston down to remove it from the rotor? pry it with a flat head screwdriver. slow constant pressure ought to do it.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, that isn't the problem, but we did figure it out. The piston is threaded on the inside, so to get it down, constant pressure, and turning at the same time will get it to come down. Very odd, because I had never encountered anything like it. But the reason is for the parking/e-brake. I had helped my dad on his Porsche with rear brakes, and that was cake, but he has drum brakes inside the middle of the rotar for his parking brake. Anyway, I guess there is a special tool, we are just using a C-clamp, and pliers to get it to turn, being careful not to touch the rubber boot.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
There is a special tool that You can buy at parts stores that attaches to a 3/8 extension and it has pins that will lock into the notches on the face of the piston. Also, make sure you line the notches on the piston up with the pins on the backside of the pads or the parking brake/brake adjust will not work properly all the time.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, brakes all done and the car feels sooooooo smooth!

Yea, C-clamp is the only way to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts