Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the stuff Crower puts on the website doesn't agree with the cam card included with the cam, could someone please share the following information for the Stage II (62502) cams from the cam card:

At .050" tappet lift
Intake Opens:_________BTDC
Intake Closes:_________ABDC
Exhaust Opens:_________BBDC
Exhaust Closes:_________BTDC

Lobe Sepertaion:_______ degrees

Duration at .050" lobe lift:
Intake:_______degrees
Exhaust:_______degrees
Intake Lift:.______"
Exhaust Lift:.______"

Should be installed on a ______ degree centerline.

I have the 62501 cams and I am wondering whether the specs are different enough to justify and upgrade. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
At .050" tappet lift

INTAKE Opens 4.0BTDC
INTAKE Closes 36.0ABDC
EXHAUST Opens 48.0BBDC
EXHAUST Closes0.0ATDC

Lobe Separation 110 degrees

Duration at .050" LOBE LIFT

Intake 220 degrees
Exhaust 228 degrees

Intake .373
Exhaust .391

Lobe Center 106 degrees

Intake clearance : .010
Exhaust clearance: .012

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. As I thought, the intake cam is identical from the stage I to the stage II cams. So, with a split profile, they are running a conservative intake in order to maintain low end torque. Interesting. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
team...lol..good u see it now too..i've been saying that for a long time now..one reason why i got stage 1's heh

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always had my suspicions. Now to figure out why they do that. It is rare that a car needs significantly different cams intake versus exhaust. Usually, it is indicative of a restriction somewhere. A larger cam to try and pull more air through a poor port design. However, going back to the flow bench numbers Nader at Focus Central gave us, the flow of the exhaust is more that sufficent to keep up with the intake. I don't want to venture a guess yet. Funny thing is that Schrick (a very respected Euro cam maker ICYDNK) use a more agressive cam on the intake side. That would be more in keeping with the head flow numbers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by S. on Da 5:
Did your Crower Cams come with the correct tappets?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Crower cams don't come with any tappets. You put the cams in, Measure the clearance, then get tappets from Ford or whoever. They're about $10.00 apiece.

The problem is that there isn't a "correct" tappet size. Each engine has a mix of different size tappets to make the clearance right for that engine. My stock tappets were 8 different sizes for the 16 valves.

I've read that the Crowers are "drop in" cams. I don't see how that is possible. The intake cam clearance is .010" from Crower and .004" to .007" from Ford. The exhaust clearance is about the same (Crower - Ford).

I don't know what other people are doing about clearance, I know that I set mine to the Cam Card spec.

[ 10-20-2002, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Blue01Street ]

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the cam card spec, eventhough it is different from the Ford number and from the advertized number on the website. I figure that since the cams offer more lift, a little more clearance is necessary because of the steeper ramp angle.

It is a shame that Crane doesn't use the same method of measurement. It would be interesting to find out the differences. Of course, two cams of different specs can yeild almost identical performance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Originally posted by Uriah:
What are the stage III specs? Gotta wonder how they differ in light of this info.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">From the specs on their .pdf download for the Focus it looks as though the Stg.II is on the intake and then the Stg. III on the exhaust. Basically the same "step up" idea from I to II.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by nem0:
What are the consequences of not having enough clearance?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Excessive cam wear. Tappet pitting. Valve seat erosion. And, when they are WAAAYYY too tight, exhaust valves can actually burn. Proper clearance is important, but if you are close, you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
673 Posts
if the stage 2-3 is like 1-2
kinda makes you wanna order a stage 3 intake cam and a stage 2 exhaust cam
thus giving a TRUE stage 2

hmm
kinda makes me wanna get rid of my intake and order just a single stage 3 intake cam
hmmmmm.....
hmm...

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is what I was thinking. Do you know if Crower has a good tech department or are they all order takers? I'd like to find out the rationale for the split timing. Not questioning the results, just wondering why.

BTW, I just noticed that all cam cards are no online. Of course, they still don't match the advertized specs.

[ 10-20-2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: teamDFL ]

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Kind of seems like weak advertising by saying they are simple "bolt ons".

I bet there are a couple of people running around with noisey screwed up CAMs....

·
Registered
673 Posts
umm
you can ask just about anyone on my car and others i've installed
it is just a simple bolton
i have no noise compared to what it was with the STOCK cams
our valvetrain is noisy period
and i gained no extra noise from it

·
Registered
799 Posts
this is from a post way back, it appears ford has a few tappets for us to choose from

crower:

intake clearance: .010" (.254mm)
exhaust clearance: .012" (.348mm)

-yet another zx3-

There are limited tappet sizes available:-
17.145 ,17.175 ,17.205 ,17.235 ,17.265 ,17.295 , 17.325 ,17.355 ,17.385 ,17.415 ,17.445 ,17.475..

Plus twelve larger ones.

I just needed the first four sizes for the Crower stage 1s.
-----------------

I guess the only way to figure it out is by taking out the stock cams, putting in the crowers, measure the clearance, put back the stock cams and then get the right tappets. man this gonna be a long install but we'll have to do it...only if theres a simplier way to this

[ 10-21-2002, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by chris_k:
man this gonna be a long install but we'll have to do it...only if theres a simplier way to this
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I didn't put my stock cams back in. I ordered the new tappets from the local Ford dealer on a "Priority" order. Got them the next morning and it cost a whole extra $7.00 total.

[ 10-21-2002, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Blue01Street ]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts